• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nuclear123

Database Programming library/API?

This topic is 2263 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Could anyone give any recommendations on a powerfull low-level Database programming library/API i should use? I had originally planned on learning OLE DB....to my knowledge OLE DB is deprecated by MS now. Does anyone unmanaged C++ recommendations?

Advertisement
If I recall correctly, OLE DB was replaced by ADODB / ADO.NET. I think the .NET framework has classes available to you.

I always use MySQL Community Edition these days, which has its own C++ library.

Generally, http://www.sqlapi.com/ looks like something you might want to explore. Its last update was from today, so it looks current. Edited by taby

Check out Valentina DB from Paradigma Software. It is an object-relational columnar db (so it is blazingly fast) that runs on a lot of platforms and supports a lot of different development environments.

Could anyone give any recommendations on a powerfull low-level Database programming library/API i should use? I had originally planned on learning OLE DB....to my knowledge OLE DB is deprecated by MS now. Does anyone unmanaged C++ recommendations?

You could also look at the libraries supplied by your SGBD (assuming you really want low level library). If you are working with Oracle, there is the old C api called OCI and the more recent C++ api called OCCI. PostgresSQL and MySQL also have their C/C++ libraries.

Of course, the code becomes dependent on the SGBD used. With Oracle/OCI a big drawback is that you need the Oracle client installed on the client machine which is rather combersome. Edited by Laval B

If database portability isn't an issue and your database has a native API, use that - otherwise I'd use ODBC. If you were using MS SQL Server, use ODBC and the SQL Native Client.

HI!

I am not sure, that ADO is a replacement.
It is an other layer of API, it encapsulates OLE DB using components.

Oracle is very good RDBMS, but licencing it would cost a small fortune and requires good DBAs.

HI!

I am not sure, that ADO is a replacement.
It is an other layer of API, it encapsulates OLE DB using components.

Oracle is very good RDBMS, but licencing it would cost a small fortune and requires good DBAs.

You're quite right. Sorry about that.

I was confusing ADODB with ODBC apparently, which are totally different layers like you say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLEDB Edited by taby

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!