• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Bloody Blender Nightmare

This topic is 2089 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Everyone,

So I have been working strictly as a 3D modeler, doing models only professionally for several years now. I can texture, and make textures, but there is and always has been a problem with how the texture layers over the object. I have been banging my head against the wall for a couple months. Watching tutorials, reading things, advanced, things, simple things, other things... things about things about things...

The issue: Incorrect overlay

Images such as this one...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2308]

Which I would want to circle round into a tube or doughnut shape, are not doing so. ideally, it would tile horizontally and in the bake look like a doughnut. cause I believe it would be extremely difficult to paint material grain into seamless tubes/circles.

The Process:
So generally i build my model, mark uvs, assign materials, assign textures to those materials, edit image mapping options and then, bake to my single image.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2309]

Which is mostly correctly in resolution, and but has fragments of error as it isn't being told to apply the material correctly to the model in blender 3D. I know this is user error.

So I go down the list of every possible option, tile setting, and etc till I end up with something like this.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2311]

Now I can scale this, stretch it, repeat it, torture it, kick and cuss it yet it is pretty much now crappy resolution due to improper texture mapping application to the material.

The Help:

So i speak to a contact who does blender tutorials. I figure he can help me, and I say hey I am having this problem, been trying to solve it myself for months, do you have a little time. Sure. I explain the issue best I can.

He comes up with this...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2310]

Not only is the resolution worse, and it farther from intended, but now he has decided I should assign multiple single 512s to the object rather than baking properly.... after I tell him I need it in a single bake map format, he gets angry, claims i am throwing his help back in his face, and logs off.

Not going well... I am not progressing... Its been months now I am trying to fix whatever issue is causing my textures from laying properly on my model, and being able to bake them nicely for import.

So i am stuck right here...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2309]

and I would like this....
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2308]

to lay on the side wall of the tire something like this... cept without the seams...
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2312]

I don't know how to explain it clearer, but more than willing to try, and I don't know what I am missing, as I was told my uvs are correct. Any help would be very much appreciated as this is the final barrier I am having from being able to texture my own game assets myself, rather than only taking jobs with studios which provide their own texture artist and giving me modeling jobs only.

cheers,

Cody Edited by Cody.Rauh

Advertisement
Btw if you can call me on my skype and we can share screen to help me through this I would be very much appreciated and willing to do a couple hours work of modeling in exchange if you can help me resolve this properly.

If it was me, I would UV map it so that each panel of the tire mesh mapped to the entire texture. Something like this:

Bvk9E.jpg

That way, the image tiles all the way around the circle.

I have put the tire in that shape before, I only left the rim in middle to save space, how did you get the texture to tile like that on the ring?

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2313]

Btw i realized I uploaded wrong version of texture, cause uploaded paint version not full detail version... haha, guess that is ok, cause don't really want to be passing textures to people for objects I am using for a project. Edited by Cody.Rauh

It tiles because the full texture is mapped to each segment of the tire. In the posted image, you can see that I have 1 segment of the tire selected. In the right hand side, you can see that the UVs for it encompass the entire texture.

Ah see I didn't know you could even select only section of the object and unwrap the verts independent. Ok so now that I have learned that, how do I bake this current composition to a single bake map for the entire object? Also do i need to repeat this process for all sections of the object or do I only have to do this once and clone the effect some how?

Well, I modeled that simple thing by creating an 8-sided circle, extruding it a bit to create the bevel. Then I selected one segment and deleted everything else. I UV mapped the segment, duplicated it 8 times with 45 degree rotations, merged the duplicates together, and removed duplicate vertices. This isn't the only way I could have done it, though. I could have just selected each segment individually, unwrapped and manually moved the UVs around in the UV editor. That would have been a bit more work, though.

You can duplicate that tire for all 4 wheels, but I don't know what the rest of your "object" entails, and I'm not really sure what you mean by "bake this current composition to a single bake map for the entire object", so I really don't know how to answer your remaining questions. Can you clarify exactly what you are trying to accomplish?

Well was hoping first I could clone the uv map process we did for the first section to other selections, rather than repeating the process or rebuilding the model. Additionally, once I have completed the object and all the materials are correct, i will want to bake this to a single bake map. As I don't want to have 100's of little 256's, 512s etc for a small tire prop. I would want it for example on a single 512 or a 1024 with the textures correctly applied.

It's easy enough to scale UVs in the UV editor and move them around, so doing a final texture atlas layout is not a huge problem. As far as cloning UVs from one model to another, I'm not aware of any way to do this. There might be a way, I just don't know what it is.

K so you don't know how to if there is a way to clone uv unwrapping from one set of uv's within an object to another. gotcha.

I understand how to scale uv's but each uv is using the image individually. If i use this technique often I could end up with dozens of images for one object. If I run into this problem multiple times in different area types of a model. After doing this how do I combine all the images the seperated wraps are using into a single uv unwrapped bakemap? Edited by Cody.Rauh

Scale the UVs to some location on the atlas, and in the corresponding location in the texture, scale and copy the tire sidewall texture there. Repeat with all the other sub-meshes of your object. I'm not really sure what is so difficult about this...

Right now I have two images... the one for tread and rim, and one for the side wall.. How do I insert the second image into the bake image in blender so i can scale my uv's into the area which I have marked with the red box?

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2314]

Do I need to save the bake, do this in photoshop, then re-import the texture as a material and then designate the layout by object uv? Cause I know once you have a bake map, if you re import your image, and your item still has same uvs, and you do uv layout mapping it will apply it to the object correctly and allow you to do the bakes to the entire object for shadows.

I guess what I mean to say is I worry about the uvs being overlapping, cause if I render shadows and lighting to this then you have tons of images now for each section. I need to have one single image with all uvs, and all shading.

Do you know how to make an atlas in blender, is this the same as a bake map? Edited by Cody.Rauh

Ah, I see what you're getting at now.

Blender allows you to have multiple sets of UV coords per object. They are handled from this window:

GUmOJ.jpg

You can set up one layer that has your object mapped so that multiple textures are used for the various segments and portions of your model, as above. Then you can create a second layer and unwrap the model again, only this time unwrap it so that all of the UVs are laid out in an atlas. Then using the Bake menu:

8yOW6.jpg

you can bake texture over from the first layer and the multiple textures, into a single image.

A typical workflow for this would be to assign UVs as you model the object from the ground up, adding vertex groups and assigning each vertex group a material. The model will then end up with multiple materials. Then, once the whole model is built and UV mapped to multiple materials, create the second UV layer and unwrap the whole model as an atlas, then bake.

Any chance we could speak via skype, I am following the instructions yet not getting the intended result. Would be helpful to do a share screen and talk. As said willing to do some modeling for you in exchange for the time as payment.

Something about what you are telling me to do that I am missing. Edited by Cody.Rauh

So here is the steps I am doing.

1. I build the model.
2. I mark the seams
3. I unwrap the section
4. I unwrap the rest of the model.
5. I apply materials.
6. for the sections of the side wall, I load the image in the uv/image editor.
7. I then create second layer of uv's. as you instructed.
8. create a new image.
9. I then bake and then it bakes the materials as they are default to the material/texture importer, ignoring the sections marked and scaled correctly.

If I click between the uv layouts, I see the correct looking version on the model, but it is not atlas'ed if I click the second uv layer it is in atlas but acts as if I did none of the uv work on the first uv layer. Edited by Cody.Rauh

That's the whole point. One UV layer will be set up for ease of applying multiple textures and materials to portions of the model. The second will be the atlas UV layout. Once you have your layouts and all your materials applied, select the second (atlas) layout and enter the UV editor. Select all faces and all vertices, then in the editor create a new image, with desired dimensions. Then in the Bake menu, you can Bake the various texture/normal/ambient occlusion maps, and they will bake to this image that you created. In effect, baking will pull the data from the materials based on the first UV layout, and write that data into the created image based on the second UV layout.

When you export your geometry, you can export a copy that only has the second (atlas) UV layout to use in the game.

K I understand what you are saying. I am following these steps. Problem is when I baking my atlas, it ignores the previous steps and simply bakes the material as put in default with incorrect mapping rather than the version with side wall texture brought in through uv/image editor where the uvs are fitted to scale it correctly.

I believe I am doing something wrong either in this process, or in how I brought in the image to fit the uvs to. Not sure, its a simple step for sure, and very close just don't know what I am doing wrong. Edited by Cody.Rauh

I'd say, upload a .blend file somewhere so we can take a look at it.

At any rate, try this as an experiment:

1) Open Blender, select the default cube, TAB into edit mode, select all vertices, press 'u' and select "Unwrap". This will assign UVs to the first default UV layer. Each face of the cube will be mapped to the entire (0,0)->(1,1,) range of the UV. You can see the UV layout in the UV editor; it should consist of a single square outlining the active UV region; all faces are stacked on top of one another. This will map the entire texture to every face of the cube.

2) With the cube still selected, go to the Object Data menu tab. Under the UV Maps tab, select the '+' button to add another UV layer. Click on the new UV layer to select it.

3) Again, with the Cube still selected and still TABbed into edit mode, press 'u'. Here, select 'Lightmap pack'. You can go into UV Editor again to see the effect of this operation. The new UV layer is laid out as an atlas, with all six faces of the cube packed into the texture and non-overlapping.

4) Create a material for the cube if it does not already have one.

5) Add a texture to the material. Under the Texture tab after the texture is added, select Image for the texture type and load up some random old image. Underneath the Mapping sub-tab in Texture, change the Coordinates field from Generated to UV. Doing this will add a box labeled Map underneath the Coordinates line. Select the icon in the box, and from the pop-up list select the first UV Layer (the one with the full-texture UV layout, not the atlas). This selects the set of UV coords to map the texture from.

6) Under Object Data, select the second UV Layer, the one with the atlas layout.

7) Still TABbed into Edit Mode, go into the UV Editor. You should see the atlas UV layout.

8) At the bottom of the UV Editor, select New to create a new image, choose dimensions for it, and select Ok. A new image will be created, and now the UV layout will appear over a black background.

9) Go into the Render menu, Bake subtab. From the drop-down menu labeled Bake Mode, select the type of baking you want to do. (For example, select Texture; this will bake diffuse texture info)

10) Hit Bake. The image that you created with the second UV Layer selected will be gradually filled with pixels baked from the material. You should see the texture that you assigned to all the faces in the material, duplicated six times to correspond to the atlas layout in the second UV Layer. From the UV Editor, you can save this image to file. In the same manner, you can bake all of your maps (ambient occlusion, normal, etc...) and save them to image files.

jTippetts! That worked! Words cannot express how appreciative of the time you spent working with me to help me through this. Very much, without doubt, and beyond all words excited to get past this problem.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2323] End Product after overcoming the texture problem. Edited by Cody.Rauh

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement