Bloody Blender Nightmare

Started by
21 comments, last by JTippetts 11 years, 10 months ago
Hello Everyone,

So I have been working strictly as a 3D modeler, doing models only professionally for several years now. I can texture, and make textures, but there is and always has been a problem with how the texture layers over the object. I have been banging my head against the wall for a couple months. Watching tutorials, reading things, advanced, things, simple things, other things... things about things about things...

The issue: Incorrect overlay

Images such as this one...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2308]

Which I would want to circle round into a tube or doughnut shape, are not doing so. ideally, it would tile horizontally and in the bake look like a doughnut. cause I believe it would be extremely difficult to paint material grain into seamless tubes/circles.

The Process:
So generally i build my model, mark uvs, assign materials, assign textures to those materials, edit image mapping options and then, bake to my single image.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2309]

Which is mostly correctly in resolution, and but has fragments of error as it isn't being told to apply the material correctly to the model in blender 3D. I know this is user error.

So I go down the list of every possible option, tile setting, and etc till I end up with something like this.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2311]

Now I can scale this, stretch it, repeat it, torture it, kick and cuss it yet it is pretty much now crappy resolution due to improper texture mapping application to the material.

The Help:

So i speak to a contact who does blender tutorials. I figure he can help me, and I say hey I am having this problem, been trying to solve it myself for months, do you have a little time. Sure. I explain the issue best I can.

He comes up with this...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2310]

Not only is the resolution worse, and it farther from intended, but now he has decided I should assign multiple single 512s to the object rather than baking properly.... after I tell him I need it in a single bake map format, he gets angry, claims i am throwing his help back in his face, and logs off.

Not going well... I am not progressing... Its been months now I am trying to fix whatever issue is causing my textures from laying properly on my model, and being able to bake them nicely for import.

So i am stuck right here...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2309]

and I would like this....
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2308]

to lay on the side wall of the tire something like this... cept without the seams...
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2312]

I don't know how to explain it clearer, but more than willing to try, and I don't know what I am missing, as I was told my uvs are correct. Any help would be very much appreciated as this is the final barrier I am having from being able to texture my own game assets myself, rather than only taking jobs with studios which provide their own texture artist and giving me modeling jobs only.

cheers,

Cody
Advertisement
Btw if you can call me on my skype and we can share screen to help me through this I would be very much appreciated and willing to do a couple hours work of modeling in exchange if you can help me resolve this properly.
If it was me, I would UV map it so that each panel of the tire mesh mapped to the entire texture. Something like this:

Bvk9E.jpg

That way, the image tiles all the way around the circle.
I have put the tire in that shape before, I only left the rim in middle to save space, how did you get the texture to tile like that on the ring?

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2313]

Btw i realized I uploaded wrong version of texture, cause uploaded paint version not full detail version... haha, guess that is ok, cause don't really want to be passing textures to people for objects I am using for a project.
It tiles because the full texture is mapped to each segment of the tire. In the posted image, you can see that I have 1 segment of the tire selected. In the right hand side, you can see that the UVs for it encompass the entire texture.
Ah see I didn't know you could even select only section of the object and unwrap the verts independent. Ok so now that I have learned that, how do I bake this current composition to a single bake map for the entire object? Also do i need to repeat this process for all sections of the object or do I only have to do this once and clone the effect some how?
Well, I modeled that simple thing by creating an 8-sided circle, extruding it a bit to create the bevel. Then I selected one segment and deleted everything else. I UV mapped the segment, duplicated it 8 times with 45 degree rotations, merged the duplicates together, and removed duplicate vertices. This isn't the only way I could have done it, though. I could have just selected each segment individually, unwrapped and manually moved the UVs around in the UV editor. That would have been a bit more work, though.

You can duplicate that tire for all 4 wheels, but I don't know what the rest of your "object" entails, and I'm not really sure what you mean by "bake this current composition to a single bake map for the entire object", so I really don't know how to answer your remaining questions. Can you clarify exactly what you are trying to accomplish?
Well was hoping first I could clone the uv map process we did for the first section to other selections, rather than repeating the process or rebuilding the model. Additionally, once I have completed the object and all the materials are correct, i will want to bake this to a single bake map. As I don't want to have 100's of little 256's, 512s etc for a small tire prop. I would want it for example on a single 512 or a 1024 with the textures correctly applied.
It's easy enough to scale UVs in the UV editor and move them around, so doing a final texture atlas layout is not a huge problem. As far as cloning UVs from one model to another, I'm not aware of any way to do this. There might be a way, I just don't know what it is.
K so you don't know how to if there is a way to clone uv unwrapping from one set of uv's within an object to another. gotcha.

I understand how to scale uv's but each uv is using the image individually. If i use this technique often I could end up with dozens of images for one object. If I run into this problem multiple times in different area types of a model. After doing this how do I combine all the images the seperated wraps are using into a single uv unwrapped bakemap?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement