How would you utilize additional processing power in ioquake3(Quake)

Started by
4 comments, last by caer 11 years, 10 months ago
Hi,
I am doing some research using the Game engine ioquake3. We were able to reduce the processing time to a certain amount while maintaining the Game's sanity.

As a next step, I am looking for ideas to benefit from this additional CPU space. I want implement ideas that would prove that this additional power is beneficial. Currently, I am reading in these forums to find some ideas for it. So, I thought why shouldn't I just ask and see what answers I may get.

For example(this is just off of the top of my head, so please don't focus on this example), with more CPU power, you would have the possibility for bigger maps with more players. This should open doors for creating more diverse style of play-modes, such as King Of The Hill...etc

Any feedback is welcomed!
Advertisement
I think this is more of a programming question than a game design question. You should probably ask in the programming forums.
The steady march of hardware means that additional performance is essentially free over time, notwithstanding other bottlenecks. This, of course, is not to dismiss your optimizations, I just think that your thesis has an obvious conclusion (free up a finite resource, and you can use it for other interesting things).

It applies to fixed-platforms like game consoles or embedded devices, but the ever evolving PC platform is a moving target -- essentially every time Intel or AMD speed-bumps their CPUs, or AMD or nVidia introduce a new GPU, you can do a little bit more.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I'd try running a full radiosity for moving light sources!

Previously "Krohm"

I think it all depends on your game play. A larger map or more players per map really wouldn't make much sense on Quake. It would just get too hectic.

More advanced AI bots, destructible environments, strange vehicles, and strange weapons would all be more worthwhile uses of spare cpu cycles in Quake.
You could implement directional melee combat à la mount and blade.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement