• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
snooze_bear

Null space of a matrix

This topic is 2358 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I'm trying to find a solution of the linear system Ax=0, where A is a (very large) singular matrix with null space of dimension 1. Most of the numerical methods I see for solving linear equations of the form Ax = b assume a nonsingular A and nonzero b. Does anyone know a fast and numerically stable way to find solutions for b = 0? Thanks very much! smile.png

Advertisement
I'm not an expert but according to wikipedia it looks like singular value decomposition is your best bet (if you want a numerically accurate algorithm). As it happens, there are no exact algorithms to compute the SVD though, instead you have to use an iterative approach. LAPACK provides routines to compute the SVD and I suggest using them instead of implementing your own (unless you want to do it for educational purposes).

The method of solving the system likely depends on the specifics of your problem. For example, this paper http://www.ima.umn.edu/preprints/apr99/1611.pdf has a subproblem that involves solving a large sparse linear system whose matrix has null space of dimension 1. The authors show that using the conjugate gradient method leads to a solution that is unique among values when you project out the null space. The iterations always keep you on the projection space, so numerically the solver is quite robust.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!