maybe not so irrelevant to gamedev

Started by
2 comments, last by Ashaman73 11 years, 10 months ago
Hi . i have a question probably shouldn't have been asked here . Sorry but there is no one to ask it nearby . So i'm fairly beginner in gamedev and as i've been noticing that every advice to beginners how to get started in gamedev says just we need to start it from making simple games. Nowadays needless to say that GameDev is very complex(or at least it seems to me so ) and big world . i have a fear to get lost in this world to not be able to keep up with new techs and features of making games. are these feelings ok ? i know (and you can blame for it) probably this is another complication besides making games. so please tell me what and how i should do to avoid them?
Advertisement
When you're getting into gamedev as a hobbyist or even as a small independent studio you'll have to accept the fact that you probably won't be up there with the AAA studios who have the budget and manpower to play with the latest and greatest tech, so I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to keep up with the newest and fanciest technologies and features.

The reason why beginners get the advice to make small and simple games is because the very core concepts of what defines a game remain more or less the same when things get more complex, and it's only normal to learn these concepts at an entry level.

I don't think there's any need for worrying :)

I gets all your texture budgets!

How to avoid getting behind in the gaming world? I'm pretty sure that will always happen. Unless you sit non-stop on a gaming website or gamedev for that matter on the news section and the forums all day that will happen. Getting behind isn't really that bad I would say. Lets say you make a small game, then find out a new library came out or a new version of the library you were using game out, you could just use the new library and make your game better. It just seems like everything keeps moving in that aspect. There will always be information that some of us don't know. Just make small games, and keep doing that. Learn new methods of making games, research about how gaming studios are making games in new ways. That's it

...advice to beginners how to get started in gamedev says just we need to start it from making simple games.

You need to differ between learning something new and staying at a certain level. As beginner you need to learn the basics first and as a matter of fact, you learn better and faster when concentrating on simple things before doing the advanced things (you will fail to sprint when you are not even able to stand up for 1 second).

Once you reach a (professional) level, you need to learn to keep up, but at this time you are already familiar with all the basic stuff and will most likely adapt new things much faster.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement