Wanted: Teamwork

Started by
8 comments, last by Mr Rage 11 years, 10 months ago
Obviously, I'm a beginner.

I'm not a coder and I'm not a 3D model maker. I suppose I'm able to illustrate well enough, but there are lots of people out there who are far better. I'm really no good with composing music.

As I join this forum and begin to browse around, I find that 'independent' games are much more literal than I'd imagined...it seems that there are a lot of people working on projects by themselves. Or, conversely, talented individuals are posting for paid work. This isn't a bad thing, but none-the-less, I'm feeling a little lost. I'm no one-woman show and I'm definitely not able to hire talent.

I'm a lore weaver. A world builder...a writer. In college, I spent a lot of time with art direction and creating cohesion between different elements in a system. I know my strengths and weaknesses, and I know that both storytelling and art direction are important in game-making -- I'm just not entirely certain where I fit in.

More than anything, I'd love to be a part of a team. I believe that a group of people are greater than the sum of their individual parts. A team of people who are passionate about making games and growing together as artists and developers.

Is this the sort of place to find others of a like mind?
Advertisement
It's quite hard to find a team as a beginner when you have no technical or art skills (as in illustration or modeling), and if you have no intention of learning these skills
The harsh truth is that everyone wants to work on their own ideas, and most of the time in hobbyist and small scale projects there is no desire to build someone else's ideas or stories. If it is your goal to help others flesh out their stories and ideas there could be a possibility of finding a team I suppose, but if you want others to build the things you come up with you can pretty much forget about finding a team (unless you're willing to pay of course).

My advice would definitely be to try and pick up at least some technical skills if you want to start building games. If people see you can actually show off your skills and your stories even in a very basic way you have a much higher chance of finding people who'll work with you :)

I gets all your texture budgets!

Oh, I didn't imagine anyone would much care to work on MY ideas. At least, not without having something invested in them. It's just that storytelling is what I'm good at.

I'd love to help other flesh out their own stories and ideas. I've been writing for over ten years, now...but I suppose the proof is in the pudding, right?

Perhaps the best way to show I'm able to tell a story is to have samples for others to read? Though, reading a novella or a selected few short stories and playing a game are two very different types of interacting with fiction...

And I thank you for your advice, Radikalizm, you've confirmed suspicions I've had for quite some time. It seems a little sad, though, having to force yourself to learn how to program a game when you've no talent for it, especially since whatever I would be able to produce would likely seem lacking. Though, perhaps some sort of simple interactive novel would be enough...
I must say an interactive novel does sound like a good beginner project for someone with proper writing skills, you could probably even build it in a quite friendly environment like flash where a lot can be designed in a WYSIWYG editor, and where you can build something decent without requiring a lot of programming knowledge.

I gets all your texture budgets!

viri, you do not have to learn how to program. (One complaint I have with this community is that they always tell newcomers that they have to learn how to program.) But you do have to turn out your creative product in digital form.

If you want to join an indie team, you have to prepare yourself the same way you would prepare for joining a professional team. That means a resume and a portfolio. The process for preparing for a job is discussed in detail in the FAQ for the Breaking Into The Industry forum.
Since your question is out of place in For Beginners, I might move this to Breaking In. But you must not post Help Wanted topics in our discussion forums -- that type of post belongs only in Classifieds. If you step over the line into Help Wanted territory, your discussion will be locked or deleted.

I recommend you read the Breaking In FAQs, and use the Classifieds to find a team to join after you're ready.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the information, Tom! (That puts me more at ease.)

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread, so thanks for giving me more of an idea on what 'For Beginners' and 'Breaking In' are actually for :D

Honestly, I was just wanting to get some feedback from folks who are already making games to get a sense of how someone with my skill set would be used in a team so that I can really make my portfolio and resume communicate what I can do.

As I have experience with both art direction and plot/dialogue/lore writing, it feels like I've got a very not-advertised skill set. Not really sure how to show what it is I can offer. However, as a creative thinker, I'm sure I can keep working some ideas out and hope that generous souls ahead of me will give me some feedback, now and again.

[I think I should also mention that I don't have any interest in getting a job with some big developer. Ideally, I'd like to just make games with people who just want to make games in a team where we all compliment one another's strengths and weaknesses. This is NOT an advertisement for myself. I just wanted to make my stance clear so there's no confusion.]
You might also check the creative forums - design and writing (writing forum can be glacial at times). Posting in those forums with your opinions/knowledge where you feel appropriate and can offer constructive criticism, advice etc is just one way in which you will immerse yourself in the community and gain some insights into the industry through the less technical side. Such exposure within the community is also another way outside of portfolios/resumes that can demonstrate your existing strengths.
I was just wanting to get some feedback from folks who are already making games to get a sense of how someone with my skill set would be used in a team so that I can really make my portfolio and resume communicate what I can do.
As I have experience with both art direction and plot/dialogue/lore writing, it feels like I've got a very not-advertised skill set. Not really sure how to show what it is I can offer.

You will find a lot of useful information in this forum's FAQs. Go to the Breaking In forum's main page, and look at upper right for the link to the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Stormy - Thanks for the insight :D I'll lurk about there and see if I can't help to melt the glacier a bit~

Tom - I've been reading through them and will continue to do so :)
Showing off a portfolio. In my opinion if you don't have passion you won't get that far.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement