• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Telanor

Question about mipmaps + anisotropic filtering

This topic is 2359 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a bit confused here and maybe someone can explain this to me. I created a simple test texture for my terrain which is nothing more than a solid green color with a black grid overlayed on top of it. If I look at the terrain in the distance with mipmapping on and linear filtering, the grid lines become blurry fairly quickly and further back the grid is pretty much invisible. With these settings, I don't get any moire patterns at all. If I turn on anisotropic filtering, however, the higher the anisotropic level, the more the terrain looks like it did with without mipmapping. The lines are much crisper nearby but in the distance I start to see terrible moire patterns.

My understanding was that mipmapping is supposed to get rid of moire patterns. I've always had anisotropic filtering on in every game I play and I've never noticed any moire patterns as a result, so I don't understand why it's happening in my game. Am I doing something wrong?

I've created my sampler state like so (I'm using slimdx):

ssa = SamplerState.FromDescription(Engine.Device, new SamplerDescription
{
AddressU = TextureAddressMode.Clamp,
AddressV = TextureAddressMode.Clamp,
AddressW = TextureAddressMode.Clamp,
Filter = Filter.Anisotropic,
MaximumAnisotropy = anisotropicLevel,
MinimumLod = 0,
MaximumLod = float.MaxValue
});

Edit: Something I just thought of. I use logarithmic depth instead of the standard depth, could that be affecting the mipmapping? If it is, how do I resolve the issue? Edited by Telanor

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!