How to reinvigorate a team?

Started by
21 comments, last by Tom Sloper 11 years, 8 months ago
on another note if you are able to get the agreement seeing how you teams local is around the globe and not in a office it’s going to be hard to get team moral up unless you
1. Can get all people in on the project together (Skype, vent, team speak) and have a group sit down and recollaborate the project to get everyone excited and a vested interest again.
2. Find the most influential person on the team (the social butterfly of your team) and sit and talk about the project in every positive way you can get excited about it from there he should go and spread the word and it should get moral up again although that is the slow way.
3. show and tell- have all the members of your team show what they have been doing and have them explain what and why praise for high level progress or effort this will appeal to peoples competitive side but on a caution note if not handled right it could also blow up really really badly so handle it with care the mini version of this would be having them post their work for the team to follow ( website, YouTube, wiki) it’s a more passive way to do it but it’s really effective to have that way everyone can follow and start seeing the whole picture instead of just there part
Advertisement
Just to ask an obvious question, is there maybe a bottleneck somewhere? Are there people that think they should be waiting for something to be done before they continue with their tasks?

Just to ask an obvious question, is there maybe a bottleneck somewhere? Are there people that think they should be waiting for something to be done before they continue with their tasks?

I'm not sure where the bottleneck is currently. I know the GDD was a bottleneck for a while, but after we resolved we still had a lack of progress.
viptampa, I want to suggest an exercise for you. You might have already tried this, I wouldn't know, but either way, if you haven't, then this might help a bit.
Now try to continue reading in a different language from English and your native language, if you can, if not, then just translate this, in your head, from English to your native language. You can also try to immitate some famous voice in your head.

Do I believe in your project?

Now dependant on your own answer, you'll find the answer to if you are capable as a leader in your current state of thought.
The reason I suggest this exercise, is because I was told (and everyone knows that a guy on the internet who was told something, is always right) that if your brain is already spending energy, trying to translate in this example, it doesn't necessarily use it's sub concious (which in this case, might make you think about the question above, untruthfully). For everyone who doesn't believe it, try doing it when shopping next time, and you might find that your favorite stuff, isn't actually your favorite stuff ( at least it works for me, even if I know I'm just testing it ). This was just something I felt like adding, because I want to feel like I know more than someone else.
This does not mean that you don't have to sort out the legal stuff. You have to sort out the legal stuff.

Currently trying to contribute to the Desurium project.

Macro, then refine.

viptampa, I want to suggest an exercise for you. You might have already tried this, I wouldn't know, but either way, if you haven't, then this might help a bit.
Now try to continue reading in a different language from English and your native language, if you can, if not, then just translate this, in your head, from English to your native language. You can also try to immitate some famous voice in your head.

Now dependant on your own answer, you'll find the answer to if you are capable as a leader in your current state of thought.
The reason I suggest this exercise, is because I was told (and everyone knows that a guy on the internet who was told something, is always right) that if your brain is already spending energy, trying to translate in this example, it doesn't necessarily use it's sub concious (which in this case, might make you think about the question above, untruthfully). For everyone who doesn't believe it, try doing it when shopping next time, and you might find that your favorite stuff, isn't actually your favorite stuff ( at least it works for me, even if I know I'm just testing it ). This was just something I felt like adding, because I want to feel like I know more than someone else.
This does not mean that you don't have to sort out the legal stuff. You have to sort out the legal stuff.

It also works it if's just a hard to read font. It's even scientifically proven to help people in school get better grades (especially in biology).

[quote name='Smilex' timestamp='1339467405' post='4948370']

It also works it if's just a hard to read font. It's even scientifically proven to help people in school get better grades (especially in biology).
[/quote]

You are a genius! I never thought about it, but I'll surely try this now that I'm preparing for exams and all that stuff.

Macro, then refine.

[quote name='aattss' timestamp='1339507722' post='4948475']

You are a genius! I never thought about it, but I'll surely try this now that I'm preparing for exams and all that stuff.
[/quote]

I must be thick; I don't understand. Can one of you please explain? Would I just imagine that some text is in a hard-to-read font? Or should I take the text, paste it into a word processor, and change it to a hard-to-read font?

And that will help me as 1. the writer, or 2. the reader, to get getter comprehension?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='Smilex' timestamp='1339625780' post='4948951']

[/quote]

I must be thick; I don't understand. Can one of you please explain? Would I just imagine that some text is in a hard-to-read font? Or should I take the text, paste it into a word processor, and change it to a hard-to-read font?

And that will help me as 1. the writer, or 2. the reader, to get getter comprehension?
[/quote]

I haven't tried the font trick, but it is definitely for the reader. The idea is to make the reader's brain have too much to do, so that it can't predict stuff. So with my translation example, your brain has to translate the text as well as reading it and understanding it, making predictions hard for it. If we take the shopping example again, say you were a Pepsi person and you always get a Pepsi, but then you can try to ask yourself "What soda do I want?" in a different language, one you aren't too fluent at, so that your brain doesn't have an as easy time to tell that it's Pepsi, because it has always been Pepsi, but instead evaluate the actual question. I don't know of the actual science behind it, but I have tried it myself and for me it actually worked (Even though I was fully aware that I was just testing the idea).

Macro, then refine.

[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1339634286' post='4948996']
[quote name='Smilex' timestamp='1339625780' post='4948951']
It also works it if's just a hard to read font.

You are a genius!
[/quote]
Would I just imagine that some text is in a hard-to-read font? Or should I take the text, paste it into a word processor, and change it to a hard-to-read font?
[/quote]
I haven't tried the font trick...
with my translation example... try to ask yourself... in a different language, one you aren't too fluent at,
[/quote]

I assume it does have to be a language you know something about. You do this exercise in your head, on the spot. So I think I understand this one.
And the other one you mentioned is to imagine something being said by a well-known voice (like James Earl Jones, or Sean Connery, for instance).
The font trick, I assume, has to be actually done with a font (so the words have to be in digital form, and changed to a different font).

What I don't get is the point of these tricks.
Is it reading comprehension?
Is it learning?
Is it decision making?
Is it motivation (the point of this thread)?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Concerning this thread, I had the idea to use it to ask oneself if they want to continue with the project, and that way one might get a different answer than expected. It was just an idea and I think it's fun to utilize at different scenarios, to see how much such a simple idea can be used for.

Macro, then refine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement