Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop

Started by
20 comments, last by Sik_the_hedgehog 11 years, 10 months ago
Looks like they responded to all the complains: Visual Studio 2012 Express Editions will not just be for Metro apps and Windows Phone 7 (or 8, actually??), no, ordinary Desktop apps can use it, too.

[font=inherit]
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/06/08/visual-studio-express-2012-for-windows-desktop.aspx[/font]
[font=inherit]..[/font][color=#424242]we heard from our community that developers want to have for Windows desktop development the same great experience and access to the latest Visual Studio 2012 features at the Express level.[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#424242]

Glad that got fixed.

[/font]
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Advertisement
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Great news. It's a little strange how it's a separate product from the Metro-only VS Expresses, but on the plus side it works with C++, C# and VB all in one.
Yeah, MS seem to be listening to feedback for this release; they have added back colour and the UI isn't as shouty any more (menu items are still in caps but I'm hoping thats just an RC thing).

Shame it'll probably be a good year before I can really play with the stuff in the new release; tend to do most of my coding at work and we've only gone to VS2010 in the last 6 months because it was forced on us - unless MS for the issue again I'll still be waiting to play with C++ AMP, C#5, .Net4.5 and other fun things for a while yet :(
WOOOOO!

To those of you from this thread who said anything along the lines of: "complaining about it is useless/nobody listens/you can't complain about it because it's free software" I would just like to say: no, raising your voice is not useless; sometimes people actually do listen; and you can always give people feedback, regardless of how much you did/didn't pay.

Now let us rejoice.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Its quite normal for express versions to be separated. And as metro and win32 have nothing to do with eachother, the split makes sense. Same for web, phone.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Holy crap, they actually listened to us, just like with Windows 7! Thank you Microsoft! :D

My website! yodamanjer.com
My development blog!

Follow me on Twitter! [twitter]jwg1991[/twitter]

OMG THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!
H A P P Y !

I am proud of giving my money (for Windows) to MS for yet another time around.

Previously "Krohm"

Damn you Microsoft! After decades of running your software and developing tools, I still can't hate your guts without looking like a complete fool.
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!
... (menu items are still in caps but I'm hoping thats just an RC thing).

http://www.richard-banks.org/2012/06/how-to-prevent-visual-studio-2012-all.html.

Also, be sure you don't accidentally change the property type from REG_DWORD to REG_SZ. PowerShell accidentally did this and Visual Studio wouldn't start at all. Took me quite a while to figure out what happened. :(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement