How to generate the elevation maps for GPU based geometry clipmaps?

Started by
13 comments, last by L. Spiro 11 years, 10 months ago
Thanks!

I re-read the article after your answers and now it all makes sense smile.png

Edit: If anyone's interested, i also found this article to be helpful:
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
Advertisement
Ok i have another question.

To update the clipmap, i need a residual texture containing the heights which i obtain from the original compressed heightmap. Right? So does that mean that i have to update a dozen textures (one for each level) by decompressing the heightmap and its mipmaps, and then send the textures to the gpu to be sampled by the clipmap?

If so, how big should those textures be? Same size as clipmap?
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
That may be one way to go about it. You may want to test if it is faster to update each level independently or to generate mipmaps after updating only the highest level (I suspect it may be faster to just update everything manually).

They should be the same size as their respective source textures.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

About the residuals, what is the point of using a filter to predict the finer levels and then using a residual texture to correct the prediction? Why not just read the true data? You're already sampling a texture, might just as well be the heightmap itself.
They were trying to avoid extra texture reads in vertex shaders which were expensive at the time of that document’s writing (2004). These days that is no longer the case and you may decide to just add more fetches.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement