Sign in to follow this  
beebs1

OpenGL OpenGL version?

beebs1    398
Hiya,

Coming from Direct3D, I decided to make a simple game a while back in OpenGL. The tutorials I used were (I believe) in OpenGL 2.0, using the fixed-function pipeline... glBegin(), glVertex(), glEnd() etc.

I'd like to remake the game using a more recent and applicable version of OpenGL, so I can put it on my portfolio. I need to support Windows XP onwards and DirectX 9 era graphics cards with GLSL. Could anyone advise me on which version I should be looking at? From the posts I've read on GD, it looks like either 3.x or 4.x?

There's a video of my original game [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs4LUq8QwzQ"]here[/url], which shows what I'm trying to achieve - although I'd like to extend the game with a couple of features and GLSL effects.

Cheers!

larspensjo    1561
I think DirectX 9 corresponds to OpenGL 2, the legacy ways of doing things.

DirectX 10 (require Vista?) corresponds to OpenGL 3, but you can run OpenGL 3 on Windows XP.

OpenGL 4 adds some nice features, but it is basically compatible with OpenGL 3.3.

For an up-to-date excellent tutorial, see [url="http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/"]Learning Modern 3D Graphics Programming[/url].

beebs1    398
Thanks, that's great - from the wikipedia page it looks like the earliest cards I need to support can handle 3.0.

Appreciate the tutorials too!

clb    2147
I recommend ignoring all legacy and deprecated features (OpenGL2 and older). Take OpenGL 3 (or rather, 3.2 Core Profile) as the API to work against, and GLSL 1.50. See this page: [url="http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Core_And_Compatibility_in_Contexts"]http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Core_And_Compatibility_in_Contexts[/url] . Without compatibility features enabled, you can make sure you're not even accidentally using any old functionality.

AgentC    2352
Another way of looking at it, if you want to expand to mobile devices (OpenGL ES) later, is to look how OpenGL ES 2.0 maps to desktop OpenGL, and use only those features available in both. It should be a pretty close match to the non-deprecated parts of OpenGL 2.0 / 2.1 (ie. always use GLSL shaders, always use vertex/index buffer objects.)

If you want to support those minimum requirement GPUs even with old drivers, then using an OpenGL 2.0 context may yield better compatibility than OpenGL 3.0.

SimonForsman    7642
[quote name='Telios' timestamp='1339321530' post='4947864']
Hiya,

Coming from Direct3D, I decided to make a simple game a while back in OpenGL. The tutorials I used were (I believe) in OpenGL 2.0, using the fixed-function pipeline... glBegin(), glVertex(), glEnd() etc.

I'd like to remake the game using a more recent and applicable version of OpenGL, so I can put it on my portfolio. I need to support Windows XP onwards and DirectX 9 era graphics cards with GLSL. Could anyone advise me on which version I should be looking at? From the posts I've read on GD, it looks like either 3.x or 4.x?

There's a video of my original game [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs4LUq8QwzQ"]here[/url], which shows what I'm trying to achieve - although I'd like to extend the game with a couple of features and GLSL effects.

Cheers!
[/quote]

For the record, glBegin, glVertex etc is the immediate mode from OpenGL 1.0.
in 1.1 you used glDrawArrays instead and in 1.5 you got VBOs. 2.0 added high level shader support.

In general you can write fairly modern OpenGL for DX9 level cards using OpenGL 2.1 (and support is far better than for OpenGL 3.x/4.x), the main problem is that the old junk from 1.0 is still available for you so learning the correct way of doing things can be harder. (most OpenGL tutorials on the net are pure junk)

beebs1    398
Thanks, good info. Based on the posts here, I've got a copy of the red book for OpenGL 3. If at all possible I'd like to support OpenGL 2.1 / DX9 generation hardware, at least for this project. Hopefully I can figure out from this book what was deprecated, and ignore those parts.

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1339335702' post='4947912']
For the record, glBegin, glVertex etc is the immediate mode from OpenGL 1.0.
in 1.1 you used glDrawArrays instead and in 1.5 you got VBOs. 2.0 added high level shader support.

In general you can write fairly modern OpenGL for DX9 level cards using OpenGL 2.1 (and support is far better than for OpenGL 3.x/4.x), the main problem is that the old junk from 1.0 is still available for you so learning the correct way of doing things can be harder. (most OpenGL tutorials on the net are pure junk)
[/quote]

Wow, apparently I was doing it the [i]really[/i] old way! I agree that most tutorials are outdated and not particularly helpful.

I'll have a looksie through the Doom 3 source as well, and see how they use the API.

Cheers! Edited by Telios

larspensjo    1561
[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong, but even though much recent functionality is available for OpenGL2.1 cards, you are still stuck with the old version ([color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]GLSL 1.20) [/size][/font][/color]of the shader programming language?

Also, you can't take for granted that recent functionality is available, you have to verify each of them?

beebs1    398
Would be useful to know, if anyone can clarify that :)

[quote name='larspensjo' timestamp='1339356825' post='4947998']
Also, you can't take for granted that recent functionality is available, you have to verify each of them?
[/quote]

Can you give any examples of this?

SimonForsman    7642
[quote name='larspensjo' timestamp='1339356825' post='4947998']
[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong, but even though much recent functionality is available for OpenGL2.1 cards, you are still stuck with the old version ([color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]GLSL 1.20) [/size][/font][/color]of the shader programming language?

[/quote]

This is indeed the case, OpenGL 2.1 only guarantees roughly DX9 level features, everything else (including newer GLSL versions) can be accessed through extensions IF your card/driver supports it.
which is why i said fairly modern, the problem with OpenGL 3.x / 4.x is that support is pretty awful on Intel GPUs and on OS X (Lion is the only version with 3.2 support, the rest only have 2.1 and no OS X version have OpenGL 4 support yet) so in general if you are going cross platform with OpenGL you want to stick with 2.1 + extensions for a bit longer. (Most modern extensions are available in OS X if the hardware supports them) Edited by SimonForsman