My Ideas about a sandbox Game, Feedback or help appreciated.

Started by
22 comments, last by Authentic92 11 years, 10 months ago
Posted something by accident.
Advertisement

Dan Houser and Sam Houser who have created the story and feel for the last 4 or so Games i believe cannot code

1. Why do you believe they cannot code?
2. How is writing the story and feel alone enough to make a video game?
3. Do you think started with only an idea and some how managed to get others to fund and do all the tough work for them? Perhaps they worked their way up?

Quick update: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Houser says "He is responsible for taking GTA into the 3D-environment era, creating realistic cities under fully 3D-engines". Working on 3D-engines sound like coding to me.

What they are doing is very different from what you are trying to do. David Jones and Sam Houser are probably experienced coders with multiple titles under their belt, when they made GTA. Very different from someone with just ideas and no programming skills.

Also, i could try going to university and asking them if they have people who wish to create a game with myself that way it would reduce the costs i would incur initially and it would give them something to put on there CV when they left and or if they stayed on my team if the game was successful.

This is another reason why indie developers need to know some coding: you can start the project yourself. Once you have a prototype or tech demo, it is easier to convince others that you are serious.

Also, from personal experience, there might be enthusiastic sounding people who offer to work for free or for their CV, but these people will often just disappear on you. Another reason why its good to know how to code: that way you can take over the code and/or continue the project yourself while waiting for future help to come.

Thank you for the feedback i appreciate it

You are welcome. Good luck with this project. Hope to see your game one day. smile.png

[quote name='Authentic92' timestamp='1339438836' post='4948235']
Dan Houser and Sam Houser who have created the story and feel for the last 4 or so Games i believe cannot code

1. Why do you believe they cannot code?
2. How is writing the story and feel alone enough to make a video game?
3. Do you think started with only an idea and some how managed to get others to fund and do all the tough work for them? Perhaps they worked their way up?

Quick update: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sam_Houser says "He is responsible for taking GTA into the 3D-environment era, creating realistic cities under fully 3D-engines". Working on 3D-engines sound like coding to me.

What they are doing is very different from what you are trying to do. David Jones and Sam Houser are probably experienced coders with multiple titles under their belt, when they made GTA. Very different from someone with just ideas and no programming skills.

Also, i could try going to university and asking them if they have people who wish to create a game with myself that way it would reduce the costs i would incur initially and it would give them something to put on there CV when they left and or if they stayed on my team if the game was successful.

This is another reason why indie developers need to know some coding: you can start the project yourself. Once you have a prototype or tech demo, it is easier to convince others that you are serious.

Also, from personal experience, there might be enthusiastic sounding people who offer to work for free or for their CV, but these people will often just disappear on you. Another reason why its good to know how to code: that way you can take over the code and/or continue the project yourself while waiting for future help to come.

Thank you for the feedback i appreciate it

You are welcome. Good luck with this project. Hope to see your game one day. smile.png
[/quote]

Thank you for this i understand this is not negative but constructive so thank you.

1, i did not believe they could, but if they can fair play to them i bet they worked hard for it smile.png
2, I will design the Game and i will write the story, but i would have to employ animators and developers to do this part for me.

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I will be Writing the Design content for the entire Game from tomorrow and untill i feel ready to release the information to any developer, at the current time My 2 friends who can draw and who will help me with concept art will draw what i need and if needs be they will happily help me with the Graphics to put into an actual Game. But again i would need an animator to put what's on paper into a Model engine into a game[/font]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]I will write the design in a document file detailing every fine aspect of every option, an example of this is the following, please bare in mind this is an extremely small snipped of information, this is just so you can grasp on the idea of what i will be writing and tuning it to as much detail as possible. [/background][/font]

Start game - This would start the game, the game would show a loading icon while remaining on the main Menu, upon the game loading it would launch the intro I will describe the intro in another section.
Load game- This would allow you to load any previous saved games and or the last auto save that was made. When selecting which save you would like it would display a “Loading Saved Game” message to let the Player know what the game is doing. This screen would be blacked out if this is the first time launching the game as there would be no saved game data to load from.
[/quote]

Obviously, this has the Header of "Main Menu" and it linked from the Table of contents for ease of navigation within the documentation. I will design the game, write it all down and then i will put the concept art in and see how it looks, i will then begin to write the story, i do not plan to rush this and i fully expect it to take many months before i feel anywhere need ready to release it to anyone.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Edit, sorry i promised some concept art today but i have been very busy planning and summarizing as you can see xD
So, you know how to write a professional GDD? As in, professional? There is a difference between a GDD and an idea.

So, you know how to write a professional GDD? As in, professional? There is a difference between a GDD and an idea.

Yes, i can write a GDD i will put all the details into the GDD and i will explain it as-if i am explaining it to a developer so they understand it better with percentages and other things smile.png

Another snipped of information from my GDD

SFX Volume, This would turn the sound effects down or up, this will start at a base of 50% and can be turned down to 0 which would be no sound at all and all the way up to 100% with 100% been the loudest it can go, as with the sensitivity if you drop it by 10% below 50% each time you drop it down it will get quieter if you slide it above 50% each time you go 10% higher after 50% it would get louder[/quote]

This is how i am writing in my GDD, there will also be concept Art within there to help facilitate what i write.

Edit, here is what my GDD look's like, Terrible cropping skills, Clicky here
I really don't think you need to go into detail on how the SFX volume control works... You really don't have to explain the most basic of functions. "start game would start the game". Is this the captain obvious version of a GDD? I think you're missing the point of why a GDD is written.

I also think you need to learn another skill that can be helpful in game development. To me it just sounds like you don't want to put in the hard work required to learn programming and you just want to be the idea guy that everyone works for. You even stated yourself that you need a bunch of money to pay people because really, that's the only way an idea guy with no experience can exist.

I'm not saying you don't have a chance at getting funded or something... but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
[size="3"]Thrones Online - Tactical Turnbased RPG
Visit my website to check out the latest updates on my online game

I really don't think you need to go into detail on how the SFX volume control works... You really don't have to explain the most basic of functions. "start game would start the game". Is this the captain obvious version of a GDD? I think you're missing the point of why a GDD is written.

I also think you need to learn another skill that can be helpful in game development. To me it just sounds like you don't want to put in the hard work required to learn programming and you just want to be the idea guy that everyone works for. You even stated yourself that you need a bunch of money to pay people because really, that's the only way an idea guy with no experience can exist.

I'm not saying you don't have a chance at getting funded or something... but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

I will be designing and writing the entire story for the Game, so not just the guy who designs and employs people, i will also write the story.

As i said, i will be completely descriptive with my GDD to the point of been captain obvious just to hammer home what i want, then when someone reads it or something i can expect them to fully understand what i am wanting, Also they will create there own aspects as well as mine, i would allow people to change or add things if they are better or ideas are better than mine, this would be a Team-Effort not a My design so do it like this now.

Also, Money is my main issue, because at the moment i can not go out and hire 15 or so Animators and Developers at 60K+ a year to help me, but i have other ideas also i am putting in hard work at the moment, it's very frustrating thinking you have something 100% and then realising you need to change something or start afresh.

But i thank you for the feed-back smile.png

Edit, according to Wikipedia

[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]

A game design document may be made of text, images, diagrams, [/font]concept art[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]

, or any applicable media to better illustrate design decisions. Some design documents may include functional [/font]prototypes[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]

or a chosen [/font]game engine[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]

for some sections of the game.[/font]
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]

Although considered a requirement by many companies, a GDD has no set industry standard form. For example, developers may choose to keep the document as a [/font]word processed document[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]

, or as an on-line [/font]collaboration tool[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]

.[/font][/quote]

To me it just sounds like you don't want to put in the hard work required to learn programming and you just want to be the idea guy that everyone works for.

Also, he has never made a game before but he wants to develop an Xbox360-PS3 game that pushes game design and graphics boundary.

After hanging out in this forum for around 1.5 months, I am amazed by the number of people coming in here wanting to make sandbox MMOs with amazing graphics that rivals best selling games etc with zero programming knowledge, never made a game before, and insists on spending all their time writing intricate game design documents in order to convince others to do all the hard work for them.

Also, he has never made a game before but he wants to develop an Xbox360-PS3 game that pushes game design and graphics boundary.

Point one. Currently there are very few games that can push the 360 and ps3 which is why we haven’t had a "new" major console officially announced for quite a few years now
Point two. due the releases of major engines (such as udk and cry engine) making a sandbox game with high graphics with out "knowing" code is much more common and encourages people to design what they imagine now I’m not saying that learning coding languages isn't necessary because it is at least at a basic level to effectively communicate you ideas to you team but so is art, graphics, cinema, and writing these all are just as important to know as well and I feel like most people down play them

After hanging out in this forum for around 1.5 months, I am amazed by the number of people coming in here wanting to make sandbox MMOs with amazing graphics that rivals best selling games etc with zero programming knowledge, never made a game before, and insists on spending all their time writing intricate game design documents in order to convince others to do all the hard work for them.

to that I say who is anyone to say what we dream, imagine, or design too big or to unrealistic to even try to accomplish just because they don’t know how to code or they have never made a game that’s why we are here to help people in understanding what it take and is needed to make a game and for them to find the people or information they need to make what they want come to life I will however agree on two things
1. No one but you is ever going to make your game come to life even if you sell it to someone else it will not be yours and it will never be what you first dreamed of
2. Knloage is key at lease at a basic level of all parts of this industry but it is also key to know the people who can help you if you don’t know how to code, draw, write, design, or create read. learn and try so you can understand it at a basic level and then find the person who knows it better this makes communicating you game to them much easer

Point one. Currently there are very few games that can push the 360 and ps3 which is why we haven’t had a "new" major console officially announced for quite a few years now
Point two. due the releases of major engines (such as udk and cry engine) making a sandbox game with high graphics with out "knowing" code is much more common and encourages people to design what they imagine now I’m not saying that learning coding languages isn't necessary because it is at least at a basic level to effectively communicate you ideas to you team but so is art, graphics, cinema, and writing these all are just as important to know as well and I feel like most people down play them

I understand that there are a lot of people on GameDev who go around deriding newcomers and telling them they need to study programming for 10 years before they can make a game. As a newcomer to "serious" game development (been making games as a hobby), I get that a lot myself.

The problem here is that the OP has zero programming skills. But yet he is aiming to beat 360 and ps3 industry veterans at graphics programming. That has got to be unfeasible no matter how you cut it.

I am not sure what you meant by "knowing" code, but you got to agree that using UDK or Cry engine to make a sandbox game with top notch graphics without knowing a single thing about programming is just impossible. There is just no easy off-the-shelf solution for people to churn out games that can compete with top veterans.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement