My Ideas about a sandbox Game, Feedback or help appreciated.

Started by
22 comments, last by Authentic92 11 years, 10 months ago

A little bit about me

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#2A2A2A]First thing's first, Let me start by introducing myself as you can see im new around here and this will be my first post, and i hope it does not hit you like a wall of text, that is not the what i am going for, My name is John im 20year's old and i live in Bradford ( England ) I have wanted to create a game since when i was a youngster, the earliest memory i have of this burning passion was when i was about 4year's old and i was thinking "Man, if i made a game i would have sand bags that made it so you did not take damage and then you could throw them at people or peek around the corner to shoot them" That is the earliest memory i have of wanting to, I setup my first business when i was 19 Year's old and that business is still running today, but that's not who i am or what i want to do there are 3 Directors of that Company and i am one of them, but i know this is what i want to do with my life and starting somewhere is better than never starting at all.[/font]

The game i wish to create

I wish to push the boundaries within my game i want people to sit there in awe and sometimes wonder how the hell we managed to get away with putting certain things into a game and then releasing it, i want my game to represent real life emotions and struggles not meaning to end up been bad but been driven to it, The Image of the title would be like this, The Camera would be looking at the Main character the Gamer plays and the surroundings Like if you are sat at home watching the TV on a wall across from you but at an angle, it would be a street with an ally to the far left side of the camera, in this ally you would see a man with a gun and a women on her knees, a speech bubble over the Main characters head saying "This is the world we live in" the image would be in black and white, The Image on the title is quite controversial as you can see but with it dimmed in black and white i believe it would create a more real effect than it would with it been in colour.

Of course, i have full scenes that i have thought of, the next seen i have already got planned, i get inspiration every day from looking at my surroundings and i jot them down and peoples experiences and my own experiences further my thought process and further my understanding of certain situations i want to make Real situations within the game that are not normally in games we play anyone can make a shooter or a kill this guy kill that guy but i want to make something more than that. People ask me "You need to know how to Code to do this Job" I disagree it would help sure but it maybe gives someone else a chance who can code to replace what would be me coding, pulling them out of a slump or giving them a full-time Job, or something to do while they are not so busy. I have ideas about what would go on around the Game world, not just the Main characters story but the surroundings would progress and things would happen that was random within the game, but i will save those details for another post.

Programs im thinking about using

I am thinking about using Euphoria
Also interested in 3DS Max for the animation aspects or the Models to be drawn into there and imported into the game

If anyone else knows of any good programs out there then please list them as all ideas and help is welcomed and encouraged.

Platforms for the game
Im thinking about Making this Game for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Im undecided about the PC at the moment, i can push the Graphics and make the game look absolutely suburb on a PC, but again i myself always find myself playing Sand box games on my Xbox 360 and PS3, But you can make the world look lush and have everything detailed beautifully on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 but you would have to ship the game with multiple disks the other alternative would be to have a standard download when first launching the game, these are some of the ideas i have had.

What about Costs?

To be honest, this is the only thing stopping me doing anything, i have the systems to do the work but i do not have the money to pay Developers/Animation artists/sound engineers and i can not ask them if they want a % of a company that has not been created yet you may fall back on my Original Company, but i want this to be fresh, no ties, no hook ups, Like the gaming company's of Today they was started in a house or a dorm, with nothing more than 3 or 4 people coming up with ideas and then creating the ideas. I have friends who would do Voice work for me, but as i said i can have everything in the world but without the correct people who can Develop/animate/draw and have a valuable interest in a vision like i do, then i can not do anything, unless i get lucky and a big Publisher sponsors my game, but i believe that would be like finding a needle in a hay stack, but you never know i might get lucky.

Why are you posting this here

Well, what i am looking for is Feedback, Insight and maybe even a little interest, This after all is The gaming universe of Coding/developing designing. If you wish to help me then i would appreciate that beyond belief, if you wish to give criticism then that's fine too as everything needs to be looked at, if you wish to get in touch with me Please add me on skype - de.bug1

Thank you for Reading my post, and thank you for taking and interest or providing me feedback, i appreciate it. Thank you again

John

Edit, I will upload some concept pictures tomorrow so you can get a better understanding of how the Front of the Game cover would look.

Advertisement
so what type of game rpg ? what are to over all goals for the player ? i understand the enviroment your setting but not the over all game though it dose sound interesting please elaborate
Hmm, the type of game think Grand Theft auto / Saints row, Them type of free roam games but not that style as i said i want my game to represent real emotion and real feelings things that happen everyday or the everyday struggles people face, and unfortunately i do not wish to go into details about the goals for the characters or any other plot lines or characters within the game, However im really glad you're interested and showing enthusiasm. I will be uploading a drawing tomorrow of the Cover the game would ship with, but it will be a quick sketch to give you an idea.
so from what your telling me im getting the picture of a game called "shenmue" i look forward to the pic your going to post

the Cover the game would ship with

Wrong direction, don't start at the end. Start with a solid vision (seems you have it already), then do your very best to visualize your vision. When you are an artist, make some drawing/concept art to show off, when you are a coder, try to take a popular engine (udk,unity...) and prototype your vision.

You have several ways to make your dream true:

1. Someone give you money, but this will only happen if people believe that you're capable of doing what you want (=>lot of art and/or working prototype and/or high reputation in game community like i.e. Tim Schaefer).
  2. Pitch your game idea to a team: works only if you have to show something off.
  3. Pitch your game to a publisher: you should have an almost done game (not only 95% done).

Eventually you need to invest lot of work to get off the ground, best to learn either coding or art (combine it with degree and a job to make a living from it).
I don't understand one thing, if you were dreaming of making games at the age of 4 why haven't you started doing them at like age of 10? You are now 20 which means you waited 16 years! It does not sound like someone who enjoys making games at all :D
Pesonally, I suspect you could have misjudged your desires and that you probably want to make something else than games.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

People ask me "You need to know how to Code to do this Job" I disagree it would help sure but it maybe gives someone else a chance who can code to replace what would be me coding, pulling them out of a slump or giving them a full-time Job, or something to do while they are not so busy.

Unfortunately, they might be right. Have you seen an indie developer make a game with just ideas but zero coding skills? All the indie game developers I read about play a major role in the programming of the game. Even for AAA titles, the game designers have a history of programming games, and understood the code of their game.

A game's design is deeply interlinked with its programming. Its like painting: you don't see people design paintings and then get others to paint it for them. This is because the paint, canvas, brushes and techniques are deeply interlinked with producing a painting.

A game is like a painting: the code, art, music and story is your paint, canvas, brushes and techniques.
Hi all, thank you for the feed-back, The art the game would ship with on the title, would be the first scene in the game as many start with a small intro, and the game would ship with the box art i described but that would be the beginning of the game also

I have been in touch with various company's and as you said, they prefer to see something rarther than a description of something, so that's my plan to send a sample of my work and if they are interested i will send the rest, the reason i am hesitant to release more information is because the game is not copy righted, so all my ideas are free to be taken by a major developer should they catch wind of it.

On the coding aspect of the game, Think Grand Theft Auto, the writers of that game i don't believe can code, they just created the story and created the concept and look at them now, multi millionaires, unless i have that wrong and they can code.

I have just woke up and it's 2:48PM, i was up writing last night and other things so ill get this concept art up as soon as possible guys.

Thank you for the positive feedback and help, i greatly appreciate your help.

Edit, still working on the picture i have a friend drawing it for me so when i feel it's ready i will put up the picture :)

On the coding aspect of the game, Think Grand Theft Auto, the writers of that game i don't believe can code, they just created the story and created the concept and look at them now, multi millionaires, unless i have that wrong and they can code.

The guy who created Grand Theft Auto made more than 10 games before making Grand Theft Auto: http://en.wikipedia....game_developer).

Tom Sloper (he is a moderator here) has a very good guide about selling your game idea: http://www.sloperama...advice/idea.htm. This part is particularly pertinent to your situation:

a. Why nobody will just buy your idea from you. You didn't expect me to be talking about these things, did you? You just wanted somebody to take your idea and run with it, while you sit back and wait for the end result so you can play it, right? And maybe make some easy money.

Forget that right now, it's not going to happen.

Pretend for a moment that you have a great idea for a novel, not a game. How would you go about getting it written and published? Would you go to a bulletin board and advertise looking for an author to write it for you? No, you would have to get off your butt and write it yourself. I have heard that a friend of Frank Herbert (author of Dune) asked Herbert to author the friend's idea and split the profits 50/50. Herbert refused, even though the guy was a good friend -- Herbert's reply was basically that ideas are easy; the writing is the hard part. Think about it for a minute -- would YOU want to have a friend come up to you, tell you a few sentences, then have you spend months hunched over a keyboard turning his few sentences into the Great American Novel? I doubt it. If you did spend months writing that book, would you want to give half of the money to that guy? I don't think so.[/quote]
Dan Houser and Sam Houser who have created the story and feel for the last 4 or so Games i believe cannot code, they just write the game and setting and the animators developers do the work, but again the problem is them developers probably get paid alot of money for doing that work, unfortunately i am not in a position to do that, so as many said i think i will come up with alot of concept art and other works and go see publishers to see if they want to fund my game, unless i get lucky and win the lottery :o

Also, i could try going to university and asking them if they have people who wish to create a game with myself that way it would reduce the costs i would incur initially and it would give them something to put on there CV when they left and or if they stayed on my team if the game was successful.

Thank you for the feedback i appreciate it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement