Sign in to follow this  

I`m a beginner,and I want to kown how to learn game developing?

This topic is 2011 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you just want to develop games with no/little interest of how things works at API-level (or implementing graphics yourself) you should look into existing game engines like UDK, Unity and others, this is the faster/easier way to develop a game.
On the other hand, if you are interested in writing graphics code yourself you have to learn C++ and DirectX/OpenGL at least C# and XNA.

Anyway, start by learning at least one programming language (C++ or C# are probably you're best bet). Edited by TiagoCosta

[quote name='ChineseWangRui' timestamp='1339580156' post='4948771']

what should I learn first? C++? WIN32API GDI? DirectX?

[/quote]

First? None of the above.

[url="http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx"]Read this.[/url] Or possibly [url="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=en&tl=zh-CN&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamefromscratch.com%2Fpost%2F2011%2F08%2F04%2FI-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx"]this.[/url] ( <-- Google translation of English to Simplified Chinese ).

Pick a language, I would personally recommend something other than C++. If you are however going with C++, do not start with Windows programming in any form, that includes GDI, DirectX, etc... ). Start with console apps, then maybe a library such as SFML or SDL.

^what he said, you should get to know one language rather well, like c++, java, or some script language like ruby maybe.
Doesn't really matter I think, you need to get to know how things work, if you need to switch to another language some day because of performance issues or certain functions you need or whatever, that's not a big deal. You will have to get used to the new syntax (though its really similar most of the time) but you will keep your experience from other languages you have worked with.
What you could do is, search the internet for guides/tutorials on how to make simple games like snake/pong/space invaders, and just go with the language the tutorial is made for. Those games include the knowledge needed for animation, collision, key input etc, at least for 2D games. I havn't been into 3D myself, don't care much to it and tbh, I think it would be a bit too much for me to handle.
But you can't go wrong with some basic knowledge like that.

This topic is 2011 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.