Sign in to follow this  
mattmeyer44129

Streaming Development Buy or Write

mattmeyer44129    102
I got a couple friends who do a podcast, as of now they just upload to youtube. Im wondering what it would take to write them an encoder to do live streaming of the show. I have no idea what this is gonna take, Ive done some socket programming with MFC but not much else in the way of networking, so should they just lease or buy something?

Thoughts?

turch    590
I would think it would be "simply" tying together an open source / free video encoder and a free / open source network stack. It probably wouldn't take too long. Since you have to figure out the technologies, take "not too long" and double it. Then take that and double it again because it's a programmer's time estimate. Then take that and triple it because "technically", I have no idea what I'm talking about.

[img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img] Edited by turch

Slavik81    360
On the "buy" vs. "build" evaluation, this would sound like a no-brainer "buy" to me. You have no special requirements whatsoever. Heck, you could use something like livestream and get everything for free.