Recommended Language

Started by
4 comments, last by Serapth 11 years, 10 months ago
Currently, I'm using Blender and Unity. What language do you reckon I should use for Unity?

C++, Javascript or C# maybe?
Advertisement
Do you know any of these languages or would you have to learn from scratch?

Do you know any of these languages or would you have to learn from scratch?

I only know some of Javascript but I want to know which one is the best to learn and use for Unity.
I haven't worked too much with Unity, but from what I've read here you need Unity Pro (1,500$) in order to use C++. Shame, because C++ would have been my recommendation and learning it would give you the most benefit on later projects.

C# is not too far away from C++, at least syntax-wise. If you later feel you have to hop over to C++, this would be a much better foundation than JS.
I'd suggest C# if you're working with Unity, but really whichever of C# or JavaScript you're more comfortable with will be just fine. Why not take a look at some of the tutorials or some code samples and see which one seems easier for you to grasp?

C++ isn't an option you should be considering as a Unity user.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'd suggest C# if you're working with Unity, but really whichever of C# or JavaScript you're more comfortable with will be just fine. Why not take a look at some of the tutorials or some code samples and see which one seems easier for you to grasp?

C++ isn't an option you should be considering as a Unity user.

There aren't too many cases where I would recommend JavaScript over C#, but Unity might be the one major exception.

The vast majority of books and tutorials for Unity are actually in Javascript, for reasons I simple can't understand. I would have figured that C# would have been by far the more popular choice.

As jbadams said though, you really can't go wrong with either choice when it comes to Unity. There is actually a third option of Boo, which is a a Python derived language. I only mention it for the sake of completeness, as nobody uses Boo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement