Sign in to follow this  
JustinHeatherBarrios

Why do shops have limited money in Skyrim and Fallout?

Hello developers,

I was playing fallout the other day. One of the most frustrating things about Bethesda games is the shops have limited money and it's hard to sell your loot. I guess this is realistic, but it seems strange to sacrifice fun for realism, especially for Bethesda. Is there another reason shops have limited money? Is it a balancing thing or an economic thing? Its been bothering me and I would like to know your opinion.

No doubt balancing things was part of the decision to go with limited money. Controlling the amount of money shopkeepers have decreases your ability to buy better equipment too fast. It does also result in you making decisions about what's worth carrying around with you and whether or not you should wait to see if you can get a better deal. The anticipation of a better deal can be just as pleasurable if not more so than completing a deal then and there.

I agreed, at first, that it was an annoyance. But as kseh said it becomes a part of the game, and leads to variance between plays. In prior Elder Scrolls games you end up with insane amounts of money at higher levels whether or not you invest in the ability to barter, but in Skyrim I found even my level 50+ characters fluctuating around only 10-20k in gold. Sure, I have a house filled to the brim with rare equipment I sell when i need to, but that's a stark difference from my thief character that trained in speech for better prices and store investments and has never encountered a money problem, by far exceeding the purses of my other level 50+ characters even at level 20. It grants variances in gameplay and how you experience their world.

That's my thought, at least.

I didn't play Skyrim but in The Elder Scrolls 2 : Daggerfall, it was easy to farm truckloads of loot and sell them all back in town. Money became really trivial, and so did the rest of the game. :D

The ability to barter items for items helps keep loot somewhat useful while discourage the player from hording gold though makes it frustrating when npc's demand more gold than physically exists in the world for their services.

[quote name='JBarrios' timestamp='1339891562' post='4949922']
Thank you everyone. So it prevents players from grinding for money to buy over powerful weapons. That makes sence.
[/quote]

Not so sure that's the case. 1) grinding is still possible, just less effective (you have to wait for store owners to replenish gold and sell items at appropriate vendors). 2) blacksmith inventory enhances with the player's level, I believe. I know I've never seen glass or ebony equipment in a blacksmith's inventory at early parts in the game, so purse or not you won't be aquiring high level items at low levels.

I believe its more about the game experience of investing in the Speech skill, which opens up all stores, gives merchants extra gold, better prices, etc. Don't forget, the main focus of The Elder Scrolls series has often, if not always, been immersion of the player.

[quote name='Kaze' timestamp='1339876430' post='4949877']
The ability to barter items for items helps keep loot somewhat useful while discourage the player from hording gold though makes it frustrating when npc's demand more gold than physically exists in the world for their services.
[/quote]
[quote name='NaturalNines' timestamp='1340207248' post='4951002']
[quote name='JBarrios' timestamp='1339891562' post='4949922']
Thank you everyone. So it prevents players from grinding for money to buy over powerful weapons. That makes sence.
[/quote]

Not so sure that's the case. 1) grinding is still possible, just less effective (you have to wait for store owners to replenish gold and sell items at appropriate vendors). 2) blacksmith inventory enhances with the player's level, I believe. I know I've never seen glass or ebony equipment in a blacksmith's inventory at early parts in the game, so purse or not you won't be aquiring high level items at low levels.

I believe its more about the game experience of investing in the Speech skill, which opens up all stores, gives merchants extra gold, better prices, etc. Don't forget, the main focus of The Elder Scrolls series has often, if not always, been immersion of the player.
[/quote]

These are all perfectly good explanations. My two cents however is that the game is making it so you have to go exploring for your items and use the crafting systems in the game to its full extent. This makes it so you don't become a gold hoarder right off the bat in your game. Like NaturalNines said the focus is immersion. Making it so you actually feel like you are in the dark ages. This creates your growth as a player.