Need recommendations for making a game

Started by
2 comments, last by 6677 11 years, 10 months ago
I was thinking to make a 3d game, like morrowind maybe? not so extensive, but something like that.
A simple RPG (not MMO, or maybe yes).

I know c/c++, and python. And I used some libraries like SDL, and pygame.
Now Im learning openGL basics.

But I dont know what engine, API, library, etc use to make the game.

I thought to use openGL, but its very complex and difficult if I planning to make games like this.
I thought to use UDK or Unity, but its very advanced.

The purpose to make a game like this is to understand the basics of the 3d game structure, making process, etc.
Advertisement
Depends on how knitty gritty you want to get. And if your unsure on it being an MMO then the answer looking at the complexity of them is NO, not that I've even made my first game.

With C++ you have a huge variety of options, just about every major graphics library seems to be C++ with ports to others. Irrlicht and Ogre-3d pop to mind when I read this thread. Both of them are rendering only, I believe they both off basic information on if 2 objects intersect but not enough to implement much more than: oh look you've bumped into a wall, lets move you back the way you came so 3rd party physics libraries are needed. Bullet and ODE both work nicely with either option I think.

You have python experience too, I think theres quite a few ways of embedding the python interpreter into C++ applications which would expose a nice scripting interface for your game. I don't know much about C++ and the procedure of embedding python but this guy seems to know what he's on about :D http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3641, when I google it aswell I see alot of references to BoostPython and pyrex being thrown around.

Engine wise I can think of Unity, UDK or Cryengine3. All 3 are free for non-commericial use. CryEngine offers a royalty based license instead of cash up front for solo developers aswell. UDK and cryengine for non solo devs are certainly not cheap though. Unity's license is actually really cheap as game engines go for commercial projects however the free edition is feature restricted unlike UDK and cryengine. Good thing about all 3 is that you can at least start to develop on the free versions and then transfer to the paid version if you think you have something people might want to pay for.

Of course theres tonnes more engines and frameworks that people are going to start throwing out here.
You didn't really specify mac/linux/windows either. Linux isn't supported by CryEngine or UDK. Unity doesn't support it yet but its rumored to be appearing soon. CryEngine I believe they don't offer the free SDK for mac either, you need to buy the top license and port the engine. UDK as far as I know is mac and windows. Ogre and Irrlicht are cross platform though.
Thank you for the information.

I prefer windows for games, but the cross platform idea sounds great.

There are good tutorials, or guides, about ogre or irrlicht?
I remember 7 month ago I didnt find good tutorials. And I found a lot of references but in german...
I've not used either yet. The irrlicht site has tutorials in C++. The ogre wiki has tutorials aswell.

I have seen a tech demo done with awesomium (pretty much a C++ and .NET binding for the modified webkit used on google chrome) rendering to a texture in real time in an ogre3d scene. Was very interesting to watch, interactive so could be used as a full browser so demoes that ogre at least can have its textures changed on the fly.

Personally I'm a .net guy so not likely to use either without some sort of binding (both have them, Mogre and Irrlicht lime)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement