Sign in to follow this  

LOD with noise-Enough Detail?

This topic is 2005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I made a planet renderer using a unit cube. INSIDE the unit cube is 12 million^3 blocks that represent possible voxel blocks that can make up the planets data(at the surface). I need a way to match the space representation of the planet with the voxel representation at the surface, but my big concern is that I don't know if I will be able to generate enough noise detail to be able to do this.

So basically my question is this. If I generate 3D noise representing the cube of data(12 million^3), and use the sides of the 3d noise "cube"[within -1,1] to represent my heightmap for the planet, is it possible to generate enough detail to have a real to scale planet? Or would this just take too many octaves to do.I need to be able to have a detailed enough noise function that can sample values between [-12,000,000 to +12,000,000] and have coherent noise in these ranges representing the data of the planet.

I am just lost as to how to go about combining these two ideas(polygons from space and voxels at surface) using the same noise method so when I switch from space to surface the data is the same.

Thanks for any guidance.

This topic is 2005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.