Game Maker, Unity, or Blender?

Started by
21 comments, last by Dream Cutter 11 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys, I'm new to game development, and I barely know any code currently (I'm 14 as well). I've just started playing around with Game Maker, I tried Blender but I couldn't use it well, and Unity seems a bit more advanced. I have one project that I wish to start once I'm familiar with game development, but for now what is the best engine to start off with?
Advertisement
An idea of what kind of game your trying to make might help answer your question a little better. Also your level of ambition towards game making might also be useful in determining how to respond in an educated way to your question.
J-GREEN

Greenpanoply
I've used all 3.

Game Maker is mainly used for 2D games. Its easy to use.

Blender is more of a FREE 3D modelling and animation suite. You can build many things in Blender like a human body also rigging it and texturing it will successfully bring the human body to life. I don't know much about Blender's game engine but people don't really use it.

Unity is a free engine that requires you to learn a language such as Javascript, C++(pro version), C# etc.

What do you want to be in game development?

Game programmer, designer, artist and animator etc.

Lastly what type of game would you like to make in the future?

The floor is yours.

I don't know much about Blender's game engine but people don't really use it.

You mean YOU don't use it? It's among the most used 3D modellers.

Start very, very small as usually the amount of time to invest is a multiple of the
general assuptions.
Also there are very small mobile games making a lot of money, but also big projects that fail.
At 14 foremost don't forget the school.

[quote name='Mr Rage' timestamp='1340000815' post='4950155']

[/quote]

He is talking about the blender game engine, not the 3D modeller. Blender has a built in game engine aswell, but it is a fairly new addition to the package and hasn't been used that much (yet), from what i can tell it is fairly capable though.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

[quote name='mike4' timestamp='1340003782' post='4950162']
[quote name='Mr Rage' timestamp='1340000815' post='4950155']

[/quote]

He is talking about the blender game engine, not the 3D modeller. Blender has a built in game engine aswell, but it is a fairly new addition to the package and hasn't been used that much (yet), from what i can tell it is fairly capable though.
[/quote]
Yes I was talking about Blenders game engine. The 3D modelling in Blender is amazing.
I always wondered if anyone actually used BGE. You see it mentioned and discussed so rarely that I assume almost nobody is using it, beyond being a prototyping tool.

To the OP, best is a remarkably subjective term.

As a learning tool for a 14 year old to make a 2d game, GameMaker is probably the "easiest". If that is your most important criteria, that would make it the best I suppose.

That said, the most important thing for you to do is jump in, doesn't really matter what you pick. Game development is so full of shiny distractions, new releases and other things to keep you from getting any work done. Pick something and run with it. The nice part is, you can't really make a mistake by choosing the wrong thing. And if you do somehow choose something that is wrong... you are 14, plenty of time to undo that mistake! :)
While there seems to be limited use of the Blender Game Engine, this (http://www.youtube.com/user/Fajrul97) guy appears to have done pretty well with it. And he's 15 if that provides any additional encouragement to give it a try.
Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.
If you're not planning on selling it or learning how to use a traditional programming language, you might consider Epic's UDK (Unreal Tournament engine). People actually get hired for this, so it's not completely esoteric. It will introduce you to a lot of the concepts of modern 3d games, and if you choose, you can learn how to do it in OpenGL with your own code later. But you'll need 3ds max or Maya to go with it. As for the choices presented above, I'd say Blender, mainly because you can extend it with Python code and it's free. But that's coming from a programmer. Blender is pretty intimidating, but very powerful. I'd like to see more done with its game engine, if anyone ever manages to figure it out lol.
Well right now I want to start off with simple games. My one long-term project is making a game like Star Wars vs Halo except with large multiplayer. I myself have many ideas for full games. I can somewhat draw, I'm best at drawing space ships and weapons. I'd probably like to be a game designer or programmer. I know a small amount of Java script, but nothing useful for games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement