I learned C++ and SFML, What now?

Started by
10 comments, last by wicked357 11 years, 10 months ago

Now i'm trying to make Arkanoid, Breakout clone. But I don't know how to do things, what classes I should write, how every class interacts with each other. How to handle maps. And I need to learn some math about vectors and stuff. But I can't find a book or tutorial that covers it all...
I can find books but they are written for 3D games, and 3D maths. I don't know what to do. I'm REALLY lost...

I would like to hear how YOU learned to program games. What did you read, what tutorials have you read/watched? And how much math do I really need to learn.

I haven't read the other responses but:

For a Breaktout and Arkanoid clone, you don't need vectors. You can work just with x and y and their respective velocities. Will being comfortable with vectors help? Sure.

I learned very early on (many years ago) by copying code from books and then modifying them. Today, this is equivalent to taking examples from SFML and changing them around. Or take pieces you want from each. It's really just a matter of practice and experimentation.

Finally, being on forums is a great thing. Posting "stupid" questions here and other forums helped me a lot because there are some nice people out there. When you can, try to reciprocate and help others in turn. You'll still learn things too and people will appreciate it as much as you did.
Advertisement

Thanks guys! You gave me some really good advice's. I don't use forum very much (I made only 6 posts or so) But from now I'm going to use it more often smile.png

Thats good this place is a great resource for all sorts of information and help. When I started I was doing a school project that threw me into DirectX 9 for my first game. It was rough but don't focus on all the bloat of what is in a game atm. Focus on the basic structure of how a game is programmed. From there think in parts till you get a good grasp of what you want to do. For instance, create a window in SFML... from there add a shape like a rectangle which SFML is ready to create already with one simple line. Then look at taking in user input to move the shape around.

I know that might sound very elementary but reading only gets you so far, putting it to use is where you will do most your learning. Try writing it out first with what you want to accomplish, sometimes this helps to see the bigger picture. Try not to take on too much it is good to challenege yourself but too much can be overwhelming and highly discouraging. Even stay away from graphics if you are not comfortable yet and make some console type games, like random numbe guessing game, hangman, text-based RPG (doesn't have to be big just a few rooms with objects in it and maybe a monster or two) that can actually be a fun project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement