Sign in to follow this  

What is a licensed developer?

This topic is 2002 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As an a licensed console developer
By asking this I have specific questions...

Is getting a license to develop for a console only to get the Development kit (As thats what you get to do) or is something you have to have to do ANYTHING on the console? Like porting your already made game to the console (Or is that what the dev kit is for)

Can a developer have more than one license? (Well that might be obvious since there exsist cross platform)

So basicly one of my thoughts is, a developer license is just so you can use the developer kit provided, is this a kit that every single game on that console is compiled with?

My other little thought is, a license is a requirement for ANY kind of xbox 360 project?

Sorry if I'm really unclear, its hard to describe my image of it.

[quote name='bigbadbear9885' timestamp='1340025591' post='4950232']Is getting a license to develop for a console only to get the Development kit (As thats what you get to do) or is something you have to have to do ANYTHING on the console? Like porting your already made game to the console (Or is that what the dev kit is for)[/quote]A license is an agreement between you and Sony/MS/etc that you're going to do business together. Once this is in place, they will sell you dev-kits, and approve your games for publishing (you cant sell/make discs without their approval first). N.B. this is for large companies who can afford to spend $10,000 on some approval form.[quote]Can a developer have more than one license? (Well that might be obvious since there exsist cross platform)[/quote]Yes.[quote]So basicly one of my thoughts is, a developer license is just so you can use the developer kit provided, is this a kit that every single game on that console is compiled with?[/quote]If talking about the kind of console game that you buy on a disc, then you do need the dev-kits in order to compile your game for the consoles, but as above, you also need the license for business/publishing/legal reasons.

[quote]My other little thought is, a license is a requirement for ANY kind of xbox 360 project?[/quote]The (unlicensed) community is free to make indie games on the 360 using XNA. Edited by Hodgman

The first-party vendors are not talking about individuals. They are talking about studios and groups of people working as contractors.

When a studio becomes a "licensed developer", it means they have satisfied all the requirements the hardware vendor wants them to meet.

That generally includes having:
* an experienced team of game developers, with multiple shipped titles on that platform
* a physically secured commercial work environment
* sufficient corporate background to predict they won't go bankrupt in the immediate future
* SKU plan of titles you are planning to bring to market
* evidence of funding, or pending funding, for your product
* enough money to complete the licensing procedure.

It is about showing that your group of people has the ability to develop a[b] multi-million dollar [/b]game projectand bring it to market. Part of that includes demonstrating that you have funding.

If you don't already have an established small studio, don't have a team of paid experienced industry professionals, or you don't have the first few millions of dollars pledged to you, if any is missing then don't expect to become licensed for any platform.

This topic is 2002 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.