Starting Android - Weighing Unity and LibGDX

Started by
4 comments, last by SimonForsman 11 years, 10 months ago
Hello everybody,

I'm going to start programming 2D games for Android and have a question on whether you think Unity or LibGDX would be a better choice for me. I know Unity is an engine and LibGDX is just a framework really but I want to weigh the two against each other anyway. I've had experience with Java programming and some game programming experience using Slick2D. I looked at Unity briefly and it seems to be more of a graphical design approach while I prefer a programmatic approach. LibGDX seems powerful and involves much more programming than Unity's scripting although it doesn't contain the assets Unity does. What do you recommend? Thanks,

David
Advertisement
Looks like you summed up everything already. Unity is a mature 3D system designed around 3D modeling and production. LibGDX is a library designed for 2D programmers.

Which describes you?
Unity's android stuff isn't free btw, it costs $400 per year.
One thing I found with unity after briefly looking at it was that it is very much built around render assets in a scene. So you need a separate tools to build your assets in. It didn't seem to even have the ability to build basic geometry. I only looked at it briefly however and it didn't seem as powerful as most level editors are like the unreal editor or world edit. But I could be wrong it didn't do what I needed so I dropped after a couple of hours.

Depending on your 2D needs you can always use the the android canvas or opengl.
LibGDX seems fun, but could I program in Java to html5 3D? Apparently some big 3D games are coming up in html5 and I wonder what IDE is best to use for such.
The free Unity3D version could be used for commmercial projects?

LibGDX seems fun, but could I program in Java to html5 3D? Apparently some big 3D games are coming up in html5 and I wonder what IDE is best to use for such.
The free Unity3D version could be used for commmercial projects?

The free version of Unity3D can be used commercially as long as you/your company don't have a annual turnover above $100.000
Android and iOS support however costs $400 extra (each) if you want them with the free version or $1500 extra (also each) for the pro version.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement