Talk to me about java in gaming

Started by
20 comments, last by Gabriel Matusevich 11 years, 9 months ago
Complete beginner here, I very much enjoy coding in java, hoping soon to do some game dev with it. What is the future for this language, in terms of the 'big boys', established developers, support on consoles etc. Forgive me if this seems like a bit of a 'non-question' to those more experienced but I'm curious.smile.png
Advertisement

Complete beginner here, I very much enjoy coding in java, hoping soon to do some game dev with it. What is the future for this language, in terms of the 'big boys', established developers, support on consoles etc. Forgive me if this seems like a bit of a 'non-question' to those more experienced but I'm curious.smile.png

Android requires it (Allthough you can also use native modules written in other languages), some ARM cpus run java bytecode nativly and ofcourse it is fairly common on PC/Mac/Linux.

For consoles it isn't that well supported so console games are usually written in other languages. (And thus AAA studios targeting consoles tend to not use it)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I haven't actually heard of any console supporting java. Someone was telling me theres a java derivitive for .net and mono so that might work on the PSVita or the xbox but thats it really.
Yep, there's no console using java as programming language because of JVM. It would require huge amount of money to update JVM for consoles and big game companies will not invest in this. They rather make game in C or C++..

I personally think Win/Linux/Mac has enough users, gamers, who will play your game. So if you want to create games for consoles Java is not the solution and you should look for another programming language.
Well its obvious use for the android OS is something. Do developers here have any success with games on the google store or is it pretty hit and miss?

Well its obvious use for the android OS is something. Do developers here have any success with games on the google store or is it pretty hit and miss?

Some do, most don't. I keep hearing numbers suggesting established apps that are on both iOS and Android markets make about 10% of earnings on the Android side of the fence.

That said, these things are so loaded with fanboy BS, its hard to really tell. I can tell you one thing though... whenever I fire up Google Play on my Galaxy Note or Transformer tablet, I always walk away disappointed... the same (meh) apps always dominate the sales charts, which is telling.

I always walk away disappointed... the same (meh) apps always dominate the sales charts, which is telling.
So by this do you mean there is a gap waiting for quality content, or perhaps the more depressing, people don't want quality content, and as the majority pretty much rules what makes it to the front pages..?
If you think you can make the next great app then go ahead, chances are that if you get the word out that its there its rating might go up so others will find it on the play store more easily.
On the point of established developers, some Java success stories include Minecraft, RuneScape, Wurm Online and Puzzle Pirates. smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

Always use the right tools for the job, in this case Java isn't the right tool.. When you have limited resources to create an application you need every little thing that's available for you. The mobile market supports java just because Apple and Google want to make money off developers more than they want off users so they give you an "easy" language for you to work with.

At the end of the day, use what you are most comfortable with but the games industry is a tricky place to be!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement