Searching for a 3D Platformer Game Engine Please Help

Started by
5 comments, last by antiHUMANDesigns 11 years, 9 months ago
Hi I'm working on a game with a friend. My job is to bring the drawing and design come to life but i have one problem.
I wish to know which game engine will allow me to make a game like a 3d plat former Like the one in the photo below.Can something like cry engine3 or unity work? If any one can Help please reply Thank youbiggrin.png
shadow-complex-gameplay-screenshot-xbox-360.jpg
Advertisement
I think you should have specified its a side scrolling platformer really. Many 3d platformers aren't side scrolling.

Anyway, most 3d engines will do sidescrolling games fine. An illusion of a 3rd dimension can be done with good artwork on a 2d sidescroller too.

Cryengine will bend you over and rape you unless you have lots of experience in C++. UDK and unity are both firm choices. Really look at the multitude of posts discussing various 3d engines and then pick one.
The Blender Game Engine could be used to make a game like this.

I have a series of video tutorials that will help you get started: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/625003-video-tutorials-blender-game-engine/

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+
thanks for your help guys
I don't like using other people's engines, so maybe I'm misinformed, but doesn't cryengine and unreal engine cost a lot of money to use?

Some time ago, I used the Irrlicht engine. Not too shabby. Also, there's Ogre3D. (None of these are actual game engine, but rather visualization engines, but they can get you quite far.)

I don't like using other people's engines, so maybe I'm misinformed, but doesn't cryengine and unreal engine cost a lot of money to use?

Some time ago, I used the Irrlicht engine. Not too shabby. Also, there's Ogre3D. (None of these are actual game engine, but rather visualization engines, but they can get you quite far.)

You can go to the UDK home page and see the license terms. Free for educational purposes and non-comercial projects.
And... Just for curiosity, have you made a game engine?

I think you can use Unity, because is easier to learn, and also powerful. It is suitable for indie games.

[quote name='antiHUMANDesigns' timestamp='1340501546' post='4952170']

You can go to the UDK home page and see the license terms. Free for educational purposes and non-comercial projects.
And... Just for curiosity, have you made a game engine?

I think you can use Unity, because is easier to learn, and also powerful. It is suitable for indie games.
[/quote]

Yes, I have. Using openGL, GLSL/Cg, openAL, and SDL/GLFW. (the "/" depends on which version of the engine. I think I made 4-5 versions of the same engine over many years.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement