What Should I learn first in Programming languages and Game engines?

Started by
10 comments, last by antiHUMANDesigns 11 years, 10 months ago
you know I nether thought of it that way so I guess if I get a job making a game like that I have at lest done something good.
Advertisement
I see an epidemic of down-votes for no apparent reason. Oh well.

I would recommend going right into C++ programming. Learn to do things right from the start, and not lose time trying to correct yourself later on when you move up from higher level languages.

Learning game engines is irrelevant, because once you know the language, you'll be able to handle any engine in only a little time. If you run straight into learning engines before you undertand any of the code, you'll..

1) ...waste time.
2) ...get too comfortable doing simple stuff and not actually learning much.

Learn the laguages while you figure out exactly what you want to work with. Graphics, physics, gameplay, audio...? Find what you like, and focus on that until you can create an application that demonstrates something in that field. If you can do that, you've got a good chance at getting a job.

May sound harsh, but I'm just trying to steer you in what I believe to be a good direction.
Also, there's a lot of other threads with people asking the exact same thing you are asking, so check out those threads for more input.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement