What Should I learn first in Programming languages and Game engines?

Started by
10 comments, last by antiHUMANDesigns 11 years, 10 months ago
I'm 17 and getting in to the world of game design and programming i do not know where to start and I need help?
I have experience in unity so far but that is all.

so my questions are

What programming languages should I learn?
Which Game engines should I start off with?
Advertisement
Read this, it pretty much answers your question in more detail that I can go into here.

Also, why do people always list their ages... really... why? :)
I don't know most of the people for some reason do
I might guess that people list their ages because they feel it gives an indication of the resources they have available to them. I might guess that someone who is 17 is still in school, can't afford to buy a high end computer or compiler, may be thinking about their career path and what colleges or university to attend, and has many years ahead to perfect his trade. Where as a person that says he's 36 probably already has a job, might be able to afford more equipment, might not be planning to go back to school to learn programming suggesting he might be more interested in books or online material than a younger person. All sorts of stereotypes you can draw by a person's age and it's easy to communicate them by simply saying, "I'm 17."

I might guess that people list their ages because they feel it gives an indication of the resources they have available to them. I might guess that someone who is 17 is still in school, can't afford to buy a high end computer or compiler, may be thinking about their career path and what colleges or university to attend, and has many years ahead to perfect his trade. Where as a person that says he's 36 probably already has a job, might be able to afford more equipment, might not be planning to go back to school to learn programming suggesting he might be more interested in books or online material than a younger person. All sorts of stereotypes you can draw by a person's age and it's easy to communicate them by simply saying, "I'm 17."

That makes some sense, but even in that regard I would say "I am a poor student", from which I can infer much more information without relying on stereotypes.
Man... someone just did a drive-by reputation shooting...

That is very true. But I, like many other young ones coming it to the world of game development seek help and guidance so we don't end up in a dead end job making the next My little pony game.

That is very true. But I, like many other young ones coming it to the world of game development seek help and guidance so we don't end up in a dead end job making the next My little pony game.

There is nothing wrong with making my little pony games. If you get a job making my little pony games you've succeeded extremely well and could most likely move on to a job at any small to mid sized studio quite easily if you feel like it.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I'd love to make my little pony games (I mean the size of the project, not the style).
Actually, I would also take a My Little Pony job. I get the impression that working for a large studio has you working on a small piece of a game and not really seeing things come together for years and your contributions would be lost in a sea of developers. Of course, the prestige would be higher and probably the pay too. Personally, I'd rather work on a smaller games for smaller companies.

I can understand being worried about getting stuck in a dead-end job. But I think that if you're looking at getting into a programming career the dead-ends are less about the first language you learned and more about your drive to learn other languages, design skills, management skills, new technologies, and whatever else you can think of. When you don't bother to make yourself grow, you won't grow. Simple as that. (I should probably listen to my own advice there.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement