Building a game engine

Started by
21 comments, last by slayemin 11 years, 10 months ago
I wanna build a game engine that is a hybrid between "open source" and funded developement.
The aim are to build a engine where small companies and themes get the tools to develope "blockbuster" games that can compete with the companies that have millions in budget.

End product, income:
Private or small webdevelopement companies can pay royalties for each sold game/paying user they get. No sale, no pay.
Same applies to bigger companies but they also need to pay a licence for using it.
Money is going back to develope the product further, to ensure that webdevelopers has a first class product for their ideas.

How
Contest: Programmers can program different needed modules, winner of each module type wins the money.
Open source (a kind of): Selected "producers", programmers and other are recruited. The pay will eventually be credits and a good thing to have on CV and eventually future income. Everyone is welcome to contribute with a pieace of art coding.
Payed: Using funds to pay state of art programmers.
Team: Different kind of people with different skills to make sure that the project go forward. And check that source code is unique and more.

The engine:
The engine design document are not created.
Good user interface.

Number one will be starting funding.

I want comments and ideas from you!
Are there a market for such a product?
What could be the cost?
people interested in working on such a project?
Ideas for different game engines? (something other than what I suggested)
What to aim for (internet, console, smartphone: android and more)
How to fund such a project? (private investors, crowdfunding, other).
Eventually other regarding business and echonomical.
Other?.
Advertisement
Trying to build a game engine without having built a game first is not going to work.

Trying to build a game engine without a game where people submit effectively random pieces of code via contests is a disaster waiting to happen.

Trying to build a game engine without having built a game first is not going to work.

Trying to build a game engine without a game where people submit effectively random pieces of code via contests is a disaster waiting to happen.

Seconded.

This sounds like a programming nightmare to be honest. The idea itself is just not feasible either, especially since you're stating that you want to compete with industry leading engines. Go have a look at the Unreal 4 techdemo and the video where they walk you through the editor that comes with it, it's just not possible to compete with something like that with your strategy.

I gets all your texture budgets!

The aim are to build a engine where small companies and themes get the tools to develope "blockbuster" games that can compete with the companies that have millions in budget.
Well, that still has not succeeded with open source engines. And there's a reason for that... and I'm afraid this reason is not they lacked the little money this project is going to generate. Supposing it does. But even in the extremely optimistic case it generates a few millions, I'm afraid you would still be on the start line with them.

For further reading: It's time ramp up open source engine development! Those kind of things are incredibly complex.

Previously "Krohm"

@langsholt

Why not build a game? You should build a small game using OpenGL or DirectX. Perhaps even buy the OpenGL super Bible 4th or 5th edition or a book about directX 9, 10 or 11. You will soon find out what a daunting task it is to build something like a simple game engine. From there you should start thinking about what an engine like Orgre is and try messing around with that or even Unity or Torque 3D in order to get a feeling about what an engine can help you with.

After the stuff about has been done(or already done by now) you should now have an idea about what an engine is and what it is able to do. From that point you should invest in the books "Game Engine Architecture" by Gregory and Game Engine Design and Implementation by Thorn. Also look for L.spiro on this website, as he is really into making game engines and hava made some great posts about this issue.

This will make you see what the people here on the website is talking about.

The conclusion must be, do not attempt to make an engine before you have made some small games and played around with a few engines already made first.

I hope this helps biggrin.png

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Hi
thanks for interesting views.

I understand the complexity of a game engine and maybe not compete with the big guys. On the other hand if we get fundings and experienced people working partly on it, it should be possible?

If this should happen, what sort of game engine would you make? what kind of game (that is popular, and sell or used a lot and will work in many years to come). What about a game engine that makes games in 3d format you can see on cinemas?
Are there possible to design it in a way so user can select/deselect rules and/or add own. For example physics like gravity and other the developer can change.
That the engine have prebuilt 3d modules and other around? What kind of modules can be premade (2d, 3d, game rules, other)
What about a online game engine? Must be some area/niches that is possible to make something. What kind of online games are popular?
What about teaming up with a game developer that has a game type we wanna develope a engine for?
Eventually other.

As I understand we first must decide what we wanna design, then how it can be profitable for all involved parts.
On the side, Personally it had been good to make a game engine that could make games that offered good morality and just not warhunger but that alsowould appeal the broad band of users.

Also good to use the moto:
Nothing is impossible
I don't know how good an engine can be, if it's developed by randomly changing random people.

"Nothing is impossible." Grow me a second head, please.

Is it a disaster if someone design a entire module with described features that we want? Lets say we have 10 modules, that cover different areas? We know what kind of game we want, what to do.

Myself have an idea of a online game with multiple worlds. It reaches from growing crops to starship battles and contact with other civilisations. The key to bind all different games togheter are trade. Starships troopers etc also do need to eat? so by constructing a marketplace and build different games around that one. There would be many game engines developed regarding what user wanna do. I wanna be a starship captain, not a farmer. Then you are involved in that part of the game. So by constructing engines to the different worlds the game can envolve towards what users wants. Point is, if you know what you want you can make it. Commercial succes is harder, since it is hard to know what people want. That lead us to a other thing, how to recognice projects that can be commercial succes? With this I mean over time, just not right there and then.

I don't know how good an engine can be, if it's developed by randomly changing random people.

"Nothing is impossible." Grow me a second head, please.

Even if you have a hardcore team with people that have control over project, debugs and other?
What I want with the project is making it easy for people to create games so they can make a living.
Anyway. lets say I got 1 million usd. What could possible be done?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement