[Android/help]loading 3d models

Started by
3 comments, last by pauljan 11 years, 10 months ago
I want to load 3d blender models to an andriod game so I want to use a framework like "min3d" to do the job but how do I use it? do I have to install something? or is there another way to load 3d models?
Advertisement
well guys basicly what I should do is an engine :( its a bit hard but its interesting I think that I have to implement a plugin named ImageJ 3d and modifie it right?
Considering the questions you are asking, I don't think you are ready for a 3D game.

Building a full 3D game engine from scratch is a difficult task even for those with years of game programming experience. It is difficult even for teams of people working for years on end.

Start with games like Tic-Tac-Toe, Pong, breakout, falling blocks, etc. They will teach you all you need about the platform, about how to build game loops, menus, graphics, audio, animation, and much more. They are also reasonably small for a single individual.

Much like physical engines, you don't set beginners out on designing their own formula-one racing engine, you start by tearing apart small appliance motors, lawnmowers, and gradually work your way up as knowledge and experience grow.

Once you have figured out how games really work on the platform, you will be able to pick up an existing engine and leverage their tools to build the game you really want. Existing major engines, such as Unity3D, already have untold work-years already invested in them, often many more than one person could do in a lifetime. After you have learned the fundamentals it is best to leverage the work of others.
but unity3d for android apps isnt free? is there any free engine for android? :(
Sure there are, google some more. A good example would be libgdx . It doesn't allow you to load .3DS out of the box, so you'll have to convert to one of the model formats it does support.

The point however is that your lack of experience in game development, and 3D development in particular, is very likely to stop you from using such an engine effectively.

I'd suggest you try Unity in stead, as it's one of the friendliest engines out there. Just use the free version to prototype the game on any of the supported platforms. This will teach you enough about the concepts involved in creating a 3D game to give you a much better start. You'll then be able to decide whether it's worth the money to buy the Android license. At least you'll have a much better idea how much work would be involved in getting to the same point using any of the free engines.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement