The 3DS XL is quite good but too late...

Started by
14 comments, last by shuma-gorath 11 years, 9 months ago
I have an Amazon Kindle. And as far as handheld "consoles" go, it does the job beautifully. Just the right size. Controls, even though they are touch, accessible and works. Games 2D and 3D are good looking and responsive. So why would I get something like a 3DS XL? It doesn't seem to add anything more or provide anything special/different from what I have with the Kindle.

Would anyone here bother getting a 3DS XL (or Vita) when they already have a Kindle [or insert another table here]?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
<br />Would anyone here bother getting a 3DS XL (or Vita) when they already have a Kindle [or insert another table here]? <br />

Can you play Professor Layton And The Last Spectre on Kindle? Brain Age2? Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Ok. So you're argument is "1st party titles". Fair enough.

Have they taken out the migraines yet? Thing always gives me horrific headaches.

Also, I'm baffled that of all the tablets out there, you chose the Kindle as your lead alternative.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Ok. So you're argument is "1st party titles". Fair enough.

It is the same argument for buying any device.

You buy it because it plays the software you want.

You don't say "I'm going to buy an X360 but no games". Instead you say "I want to play these awesome games so I'm buying an X360." Similarly for the 3DS or any Vita or any other device.

A tablet just has many more uses, and it has many more free and inexpensive apps. Even so some people have no inclination to buy one because it has nothing that they need or want.

Have they taken out the migraines yet?

Only had those with Resident Evil: Revelations myself. Didn't seem so much like a migraine as neck tension from trying to hold the screen steady, but no idea why that title bothered me more than others.
It's a fun little device and the 3D is generally effective and improves the experience immensely when it is. It's an improvement on the DS in most every way, and if you turn the 3D off, the graphics are still better than the DS'.

My disappointment is that none of the games I expected to see appear to even be in development. No sandbox games... Didn't expect a GTA, but thought maybe there'd be a Saints Row, or even one of those Gameloft titles that they put out on iPod. Even the DS had Cop:The Recruit...

I thought it would be a great platform for DreamCast era games, too. Crazy Taxi would be a great fit, as would Sega Rally, Jet Set Radio etc. I knew getting remixed versions of the Panzer Dragoon games was unlikely, but I really thought we'd be seeing many more games rehashed from that era.

But I do love the hardware.

Also, I'm baffled that of all the tablets out there, you chose the Kindle as your lead alternative.

Well I have a Kindle. But I have played with a 3DS (not XL), PSP, GBA, and DS. The Kindle for me has a great fit and the screen size is perfect.... for gaming. iPad is a bit too big, IMO. And yes, I've played games on an iPad as well.

I thought it would be a great platform for DreamCast era games, too. Crazy Taxi would be a great fit, as would Sega Rally, Jet Set Radio etc. I knew getting remixed versions of the Panzer Dragoon games was unlikely, but I really thought we'd be seeing many more games rehashed from that era.

Luckily, Vita is getting Jet Set Radio this summer.

Would anyone here bother getting a 3DS XL (or Vita) when they already have a Kindle [or insert another table here]?

I own a 3DS and a Vita, but no tablet.

If you don't care about the 3D, I'd say the 3DS is good for the 1st-party exclusives. My biggest problem with the system is that, right now, you can only buy the latest AAA games at retail. They said you be able to buy them digitally starting in the Fall, though.

One benefit with the Vita is that some future PS3 releases will be released for the Vita on the same day. Moreover, Vita players get to play with PS3 players in certain multiplayer games. The biggest problem with this system, in my opinion, is the shortage of exclusives. Of course, the system is only, like, four months old in the States, and the holiday hasn't come around yet.
Why get a tablet to play games on, when you have a Nintendo 3DS? Effectively this is a tablet, one oriented towards gaming.

The main competition that all handheld devices have had - games consoles, mp3 players, cameras, and yes media/Internet tablets - is from phones, because almost everyone wants to have a phone on them, so there's little need to have an additional device. Devices have only survived where they've become significantly different from phones. So small PDAs/tablets have mostly disappeared because of phones, and instead we now have large tablets. MP3 players have some advantages such as people wanting more storage space or a separate device for battery life, but many people use their phones. Cameras have so far survived due to people wanting better quality for special occasions, or things like zoom, but this will likely change soon (especially if technology like Nokia PureView are any sign of the future of phone cameras).

So Nintendo have already been facing a squeeze from phones. I guess the problem from larger tablets is that Nintendo can't even differentiate by making the device larger. Does the 3DS XL have anything for web/email or general Internet access, or allow playing of music/videos? It seems to me an obvious thing for them to do would be to make their device into an Internet/media tablet itself, so they would no longer lose out, and still have the edge when it comes to gaming.

Why not. He said the Kindle, because he has one. Apple users always mention their Iphone or their Mac as their example (even when it's completely irrelevant for us to know the brand), when they're not the lead platforms, I don't see why we should pick on someone for mentioning a popular device like the Kindle, especially when they're talking about something they own.

ETA: Also I presume the OP meant the Kindle Fire, which is a tablet running Android, the lead operating system for mobile devices, rather than the more commonly known Kindle e-reader - I have no idea whether that could do any games.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement