Model Loader for SlimDX and .OBJ or .FBX

Started by
3 comments, last by riuthamus 11 years, 9 months ago
We are to the point in our game that we would like to add models. We were using XNA but felt the burden of using dx9 was overbearing. We made the switch from XNA to SlimDX but we are having some major issues with getting a model loader + animations, to work. I have looked around and done some searching but cant seem to find one. Any guidance for this would be greatly appreciated.

I have made the model with Maya, so fbx is our prefered format but I can export it with obj if needed. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Have you tried Assimp? It can load a wide range on 3D formats and it's easy to integrate on an engine,
I will take a lookd, i read up on it but I didnt think it worked with SlimDX, least not yet.

**EDIT** i guess i should have mentioned it has to work with C#.... they dont have a C# release yet
Though I haven't used them myself, there are a few c# wrappers for assimp, you may want to look at. If you google "Assimp c# wrapper" you'll find a few projects. Not sure if they're any good though.
[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler
Thanks for the heads up. We are going to attempt to modify the Culla or whatever it is called. If that doesnt work, we will go to the drawing board and make one from scratch. The really sad part is that the DX11 removed the support for handling of it. I know why they did it.. but still sad it was removed. Thanks again for the advice guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement