Linear RPG: Unity3D or UDK?

Started by
3 comments, last by SimonForsman 11 years, 10 months ago
Hello Everyone!smile.png Im New here and i wanted to ask ppl a question i've been pondering a while, i have an idea, layout and desing for a Linear RPG adventure Diablo-Like (third person) and i need your opinion on which Engine to choose.

Right Now Im between Unity3d and UDK, i have little experience with both, but from the looks of it, i think im more fond of UDK. Anyway that is just my newbie perspective...

WHAT I WANTED OT KNOW... IS: Which engine will best support my project.

I've red lots of post saying that UDK is for a team of developers and Unity is more of an Indie Game ENgine better suited for SOLO developers. But Ive also red some different comments on the UDK side.

From my first impresion i could say Unity would prove a more easy task taking in consideration that is has less tools ( BY THE WAY, IM TALKING ABOUT UNITY FREE!!!! Not the PRO version). But i know sufficient Javascript, C++ and a bit of java, so Unity or UDK scripting would not present ... much of a problem wacko.png ( i think ), or maybe just. .... NOT impossible.

But here is the thing, I Know that UDK will provide more to me, as in Effects, Dynamic Lighting and Shadows and so on. So that I will be able to create a better "mood" for the game and a better feel, i Know UDK is a much more powerfull engine. But ... Is it Much of Challenge??? Could It be Impossible for me to even try to complete this game By My Self??? Those are question i can not answer because i dont have a game developer experience of large projects or team projects.

So my question is, If I go for UDK, how much will I achieve? (in what time period) o.O huh.png blink.png

Also for UDK developers: How Powerful is Kismet? and How much Unreal Scripting i will need to do?
I realize this are very especific question and probably you cant give me a precise answer, but i want to know your insight on the matter, because im a bit STUCK.

In case is not obvious, i like UDK more than Unity. ( I Dont Dislike Unity, Actually i Think is Great, But I like UDK better)

Thats about it, I will very much apreciate your response on this. I'll look forward for your reply ::: biggrin.png Have a Nice Coding
Advertisement
Oh Yes! something i forgot, i will be using Blender, GIMP, Audacity ... All Open Free Tools!. I have experience with 3ds Max, But I Only have a Student Licence and I Can not use the 3ds models for my game sleep.png (too bad) ...

So if you know any serious issues with Import/Export please do tell, I know Unity has a nice importer for Blender, and I know that UDK does also take Blender files well, But i dont know HOW welldry.png .... Tnks!
Bye
I havn't used UDK but importing blender models to Unity is fairly easy, in my team we export to FBX and go from there.

The only problem i've had is that Unity required me to set up joints and colliders manually (for ragdolls) after importing (The bones get imported but joints restricting their movements did not(Not sure if its a limitation in Unity, the FBX format, Blender or if my artist is being lazy and not adding those things for me).

UDK is a bit more complete than Unity Free though (But if you're going to use it commercially the price difference between Unity Pro and UDK is fairly negligable, unless you go with the royalty based license (in which case UDK can be far cheaper or far more expensive depending on how well you do)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Thnks! ... Yes there are some issues with the Blender To UDK, so far i've seen, the only way (good way) to exporto to UDK is with ASE exporting, that is not yet implemented in Blender 2.6x, and it is true, is easy to import to unity. As far as the Royalty licence of UDK, i thnk that wont be a problem, if I manage to make 50.000 out of any game by my self, future royalties wont bother me so much rolleyes.gif, the game would be paid off by then smile.png. I guess ... If there is a chance.... maybe... .... maybeee... i could get a Unity PRO licence and pay the 1500 U$S, so i can take advantage of the PRO features, which will cover the things im missing from the FREE version, but i dont know yet, i have to do some careful considerations ph34r.png ... maybe i should try to make an Ultra-Alpha version of the game smile.png , like, just one scene and see if i can make it how i want.

Another thing ... Your team works with Unity Free or PRO?

Thnks! ... Yes there are some issues with the Blender To UDK, so far i've seen, the only way (good way) to exporto to UDK is with ASE exporting, that is not yet implemented in Blender 2.6x, and it is true, is easy to import to unity. As far as the Royalty licence of UDK, i thnk that wont be a problem, if I manage to make 50.000 out of any game by my self, future royalties wont bother me so much rolleyes.gif, the game would be paid off by then smile.png. I guess ... If there is a chance.... maybe... .... maybeee... i could get a Unity PRO licence and pay the 1500 U$S, so i can take advantage of the PRO features, which will cover the things im missing from the FREE version, but i dont know yet, i have to do some careful considerations ph34r.png ... maybe i should try to make an Ultra-Alpha version of the game smile.png , like, just one scene and see if i can make it how i want.

Another thing ... Your team works with Unity Free or PRO?

We work with free right now since we're targeting mobiles (and the one feature we really wanted from pro (Dynamic shadows)) wasn't supported for mobiles anyway, Unity4 however adds dynamic shadows for newer mobiles (those supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 IIRC) so we are considering a pro upgrade. next year we'll have to either move the game development to its own company or upgrade to pro licenses since we'll break the $100k turnover limit for free otherwise, hopefully we'll have this game out the door before then (This is a very small project done in our spare time to test the waters)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement