Best 3d modelling software for beginners?

Started by
36 comments, last by Postie 11 years, 8 months ago

So I downloaded blender, just have to read those tutorials!

One of the most confusing things about getting started with Blender is the windowing system. This post may help you a bit. As you can see, you can actually quite easily customize the heck out of Blender, but its a bit confusing at first.
Advertisement
Blender is the best thing ever, for beginners and for experts.

Also, try Google Sketchup, I used it to design some levels in a small videogame I did.

Good luck

[quote name='Chris941' timestamp='1341607638' post='4956465']
So I downloaded blender, just have to read those tutorials!

One of the most confusing things about getting started with Blender is the windowing system. This post may help you a bit. As you can see, you can actually quite easily customize the heck out of Blender, but its a bit confusing at first.
[/quote]

Thanks for the link! I opened blender up, then closed it...It LOOKS pretty hard to understand, but the link should help! Thanks!

Blender is the best thing ever, for beginners and for experts.

Also, try Google Sketchup, I used it to design some levels in a small videogame I did.

Good luck

I had google sketchup downloaded for a little while but just couldn't get the hang of it! I'm trying to learn blender, coding, and writing a game design document all at once...I'm busy!
Also when trying to learn Blender from tutorials or other online resources, make sure that you are using materials that specifically target the version of Blender that you have downloaded. The UI has changed a lot in recent years and it can be particularly frustrating to try to deal with a tutorial that is talking about GUI widgets that no longer exist.

Also when trying to learn Blender from tutorials or other online resources, make sure that you are using materials that specifically target the version of Blender that you have downloaded. The UI has changed a lot in recent years and it can be particularly frustrating to try to deal with a tutorial that is talking about GUI widgets that no longer exist.

This is perhaps the most irritating aspect of learning blender. Getting 2.5x or 2.6x versions of the documentation. Google always seem to send you to older stuff, even on the official wiki, even though it looks like its point you to the newer one.
Thanks for that tip! I had downloaded the newest version of blender and was looking at older tutorials.

Thanks for that tip! I had downloaded the newest version of blender and was looking at older tutorials.

There was a big break in the continuity of the UI between 2.5x and everything that preceded it, which is what Serapth is talking about above. I haven't looked at Blender lately and am not sure what version they are up to -- still 2.6-something? -- but I'd imagine that any tutorial that is talking about a version greater than 2.5 will be relevant to you.

There's also this book:
http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0240814304
But personally I didn't find it that useful.
I started using blender a couple of years ago, but didnt get verry far with it. One tip i can give is to find a guide on customising the windows. I spent ages changing the perspective of the window everytime i wanted to see a different side at the start, but then i realised i could set up 4 windows viewing each part i was modelling.
*** Misfit Cubed *** is definitely the solution!

It's easy to use and it's FREE!!! You can edit with it .Md2 and .Md3 models, and export .Md5 models.
It's the BEST! smile.png

http://sourceforge.net/projects/misfitcubed/

In the case of .Md5 models, you can use this model viewer:

http://home.mnet-online.de/der/modelviewer.rar

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement