Best 3d modelling software for beginners?

Started by
36 comments, last by Postie 11 years, 8 months ago
Personally I suggest lightwave. You have a 30 day trial. Me i have tried and i loved them a lot ! He is simple and the little thing i hate of this modeling software is that the texture was not very good but for 3d modeling he is perfect. If your engine doesn't support the engine extension, you have a lot of export option like .obj .3ds .fbx.
Advertisement
3DS Max, no brainer here. Except for the prohibitive price...

Milkshape is also acceptable if you are making something small, but if you try to use it after you tried 3DSMax you will scowl in pain and despair :)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Milkshape is also acceptable if you are making something small, but if you try to use it after you tried 3DSMax you will scowl in pain and despair smile.png

Yeah, I didn't say anything about it because it seems like nobody uses it anymore, but I think, for what it is, Milkshape is a good application, and that it's a nice application to use for the absolute fist time you try to make a polygon-based model because it doesn't suffer from the feature overload of something like Blender. Not as intimidating, etc. The big question though is, what the hell ever happened to MilkShape?

So I downloaded blender, just have to read those tutorials!
Got o BlenderCookie.com and watch the video tutorials. They do a great job there. They start with the interface, and then show you how to model stuff, and then show you how to get it running in Unity. Great site.
edit: woops i posted in the wrong topic! sorry

but anyways might as well add to this,
blender is probably a good choice, but i also agree that there are a lot of 3ds max tutorials these days but its more complex
I use Blender3D because it is free and can get the job done, but I recomend 3DS Max. It's more advanced and worth learning.
Id recommend Blender by blender foundation at www.blender.org

Its a free software and easy to learn. =D

So I downloaded blender, just have to read those tutorials!

Blender can seem bizarre and illogical at first, but if you stick with its easily the best of the free modellers out there. I found that to really get the hang of Blender you have to use the keyboard shortcuts, not the menus. I made myself a cheat sheet where I wrote down all the keyboard commands I use all the time and it's been invaluable as a reference, especially if I don't use Blender for a month or so.

Re: The tutorials, just be aware that Blender is updated regularly and older tutorials won't necessarily make sense against the current version.
[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement