A Horrible Industry

Started by
33 comments, last by dakota.potts 11 years, 6 months ago
Or maybe its just me. I've been doing research on the video game industry for a while now and I'm trying to force myself out of the thought that the industry is a horrible place to work unless you're a talented indie developer making big hits for multiple platforms. I say this because of many things. I get discouraged when I see the majority of games on the shelf of a retailer like gamestop being outshined by games like Modern Warfare, Assasin's Creed, Halo and so on. Many games made on long tired hours by talented individuals stay out of the public eye and dont make much of a profit. Also the cost of making games today, is very discouraging because everything comes down to a decision and a huge budget. Its seems as though creativity potential is limited by funds because of the expensive tech needed. You have to water down great ideas into something feasible and cost flexible because there might not be enough to pay for good artists or more programmers or motion capture equiptment, something like that. Think of all the visions for games that could've become great but didn't get a chance because they were turned down by a manufacturer for not following an ideal consept, or setbacks because of dumbing down specs.

The way I see it, if a creative individual has a dream to release a game he or she thinks will be great based on their vision, they either have to do it on their own with whatever slim chance they have of doing so building a team, funding the project by themselves, and doing what it takes to get it out there, or work their ass off for years from the bottom to the top to have a say in what becomes of or what goes to accomplish that vision. The point I wanna make is that the industry needs some changes. I hate that everything comes down to money and the majority of gamers out there are so closed minded.
Art: The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form; producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

...If games aren't that, then I don't know what is ¬_¬
Advertisement
fight it. Make your own games. Also many big companies started a small no name companies or even indies themselves back then. Indies do not make games for profit only, they also do it because they simply love doing it(well we don't refuse revenue if possible). Then again all small developers should have a good marketing plan in order to sustain a healthy revenue if they consider to make a living from their hobby. It is the reality of the real world. Find a way to deal with it and hope for the best or do something else(something else than making games...).

Even I hate that everything comes down to money but I have to pay my bills like most people and therefore I accept the condition that everything DO comes down to money whether I like it or not. Deal with it by finding smart ways to get your name known, spend a lot of time doing marketing SHOULD be a big part of a small indie studios schedule in order to get revenue from a game. There is a war going on and it is the war between the big game publisher and the small indie studios. In fact we all fight for the audiences attention and money. What can we do? Grab a cold coke, dry your eyes clean and back to work tongue.png

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

We're talking about a multi-billion dollar, international industry; it does and will continue to come down to money for the vast majority of the industry. Trying to change that as a whole is a pretty futile adventure.

The "problem" is that people need money. You need a place to live and some food and you WANT a lot more than that. I would guess that the closest to taking the money out of the decision making process you can do is make yourself the person that's financially responsible. So that way if you're losing money on a game, it's only hurting you (as long as you're still taking care of the people who worked with/for you to make the game as you agreed to). But that's not a hit that people are often open to taking.

I would say that it's not all the industry, either. It's partially the consumers. If people didn't go buy Modern Warfare 6, the odds of Modern Warfare 7 releasing and looking and playing like it would be very low. We consumers frequently say one thing (we want more innovation in the industry) but speak with what matters most (dollars/yen/rupees/euros/etc) in a very different fashion (we buy the series we know that gets cranked out annually instead of the innovative game that tried something totally different).

So, in my mind, there are multiple problems in play; some within your control and some not. But even the ones that are in your control require you to be the person to take the risk. And ultimately, I think the majority of people are not that kind of risk taker.

The "problem" is that people need money.

Indeed. that is the "problem". So everything simply just has to come down to money. No money no shelter, food, social security etc. The OP should not see this as a bad thing but more as a great driving force(just a suggestion). I mean why be angry about something that cannot be undone? By accepting the terms given by reality one will be so much more realistic and careful in setting goals for the future.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

I thought Extra Credits had an interesting take on this
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Think of game development like a musician does to music. Some are in it for the money, some are in it for the glory, and some of them are in it because its in their blood. They need to create. Game creation is a art medium that can be a business, not the reverse. As they say not everybody is going to be a rock star so its best to put your focus where your heart is and you will be happy, success or not. You don't have to work for the industry, let it work for you. Whether you leverage the power of a new development environment or decide to use prefab content, there is plenty of tools the industry now provides the resourceful developer can take advantage of to jump start his game. Don't necessarily quit the day job, you can develop your game on the side and release it independently. It doesn't cost much if anything to get it off the ground and in public distribution. Rather quickly too. If it is good enough there are plenty of ways to monetize it later.
3DSkyDome.com animated sky boxes and instant 3d Android & WebGL publishing.
Just one counter example:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-27/why-there-are-no-bosses-at-valve

But for the most part, I'm sure it does suck. Heck, most companies suck regardless of industry. Just keep your eyes open for the exceptions, or try to roll your own.

The way I see it, if a creative individual has a dream to release a game he or she thinks will be great based on their vision

I think this is your problem. Games are much more collaborative than I think you make them out to be. A creative individual trying to preserve their vision will probably struggle because of the collaboration required, not because of money.

That said, I think people underrate the creativity in sequels and get angsty about it. There's often a lot of creativity in them that gets overshadowed by the fact that they have to preserve core gameplay.

Halo for example, the original was a solid game. Halo 2 added one of the most fluid online experiences to that point. Halo 3 added Forge and equipment. ODST added non-linear storytelling and a view of the story from a new perspective. Reach expanded on forge and added loadouts. Halo 4 is adding weekly episodic content through spartan ops, which I'm excited for.

it's easy to ignore innovation when it's not being applied to the core gameplay even though it's still there I guess is my point.

I think this is your problem. Games are much more collaborative than I think you make them out to be. A creative individual trying to preserve their vision will probably struggle because of the collaboration required, not because of money.

I know it requires collaboration, AAA games cant be done on one person and you're not the only designer working there. I would be open to other creative minds to contribute because my vision alone won't cut it.
Art: The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form; producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

...If games aren't that, then I don't know what is ¬_¬

Or maybe its just me. I've been doing research on the video game industry for a while now and I'm trying to force myself out of the thought that the industry is a horrible place to work unless you're a talented indie developer making big hits for multiple platforms. I say this because of many things. I get discouraged when I see the majority of games on the shelf of a retailer like gamestop being outshined by games like Modern Warfare, Assasin's Creed, Halo and so on. Many games made on long tired hours by talented individuals stay out of the public eye and dont make much of a profit. Also the cost of making games today, is very discouraging because everything comes down to a decision and a huge budget. Its seems as though creativity potential is limited by funds because of the expensive tech needed. You have to water down great ideas into something feasible and cost flexible because there might not be enough to pay for good artists or more programmers or motion capture equiptment, something like that. Think of all the visions for games that could've become great but didn't get a chance because they were turned down by a manufacturer for not following an ideal consept, or setbacks because of dumbing down specs.

The way I see it, if a creative individual has a dream to release a game he or she thinks will be great based on their vision, they either have to do it on their own with whatever slim chance they have of doing so building a team, funding the project by themselves, and doing what it takes to get it out there, or work their ass off for years from the bottom to the top to have a say in what becomes of or what goes to accomplish that vision. The point I wanna make is that the industry needs some changes. I hate that everything comes down to money and the majority of gamers out there are so closed minded.

Excepting the obvious industry-related jargon. Nothing you have said here convinces me that it is unique to the game industry. Issues such as you have mentioned tend to be fairly common to not just the artistic sectors but also scientific, technical,...basically the industry of business in general.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement