Are forum users actually voting?

Started by
42 comments, last by Cornstalks 11 years, 9 months ago

Upvoting gives the voter one point, downvoting removes one point from the voter. Upvoting gives the target three rep points (it's supposed to be dependent on the voter's rep, but I have failed to observe this, so I guess either this was removed in the design process or no high-rep member has ever upvoted me), and downvoting removes three rep points from the target. More information on the rep system can be found here but may be out of date (did you look at it?). You will have to ask a moderator or a staff member for the correct information I'm afraid - perhaps send them a private message?

I see... so you don't fully know, instead we get to an outdated link. But anyways, I came to the conclusion that we are doing nothing cause the ones that should be here , aren't (yes, the Gamedev.net mods).

I consider my answers helpful, maybe not in the typical way, but they are. I also admit that my hatred for LSU got the best of me on that infamous post, so I apologize for that one. But the others one just baffle me.

And something that everybody failed to answer me is why in the world logging in to the forum means a +1.

Thanks
Advertisement
Let's keep this thread on the topic of whether the voting system is being used.

It's obvious that it's just being used for negative feedback purposes, Several of my posts have been voted up but out of the blue several of them vote them down. I've seen one that was voted up once, and then voted down like 4 times.

That doesn't seem right, it seems right to you?
It's not obvious to me. I started the thread not for "negative feedback purposes", such as the "voting system sucks" but whether the system is working as it should be or better yet, as it used to be. Since I've started this thread, I've been more mindful of upvoting posts (not because I need points, mind you), but because they are helpful. I did it in old GD, I do it on SO, I sure as hell better be doing it here.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

It's not obvious to me. I started the thread not for "negative feedback purposes", such as the "voting system" but whether the system is working as it should be or better yet, as it used to be. Since I've started this thread, I've been more mindful of upvoting posts (not because I need points, mind you), but because they are helpful. I did it in old GD, I do it on SO, I sure as hell better be doing it here.

It's not working as it should be, If I give a +1/+3/+4/+5 to your post, that means it was somewhat helpful in general, how would you feel if other 4 people come and vote it down? At least I feel that something's not right.

But that's just me.

It's not working as it should be, If I give a +1/+3/+4/+5 to your post, that means it was somewhat helpful in general, how would you feel if other 4 people come and vote it down? At least I feel that something's not right.

But that's just me.

Somewhat helpful in your opinion however as you are not the ultimate authority on what is good the fact that others can voice their opinion is a good thing.

Same with technical discussions; if you vote something up that you think is helpful then others, with more knowledge in the area, might well come a long and realise it is wrong and thus indicate as such.

The system is working as intended as everyone can have a vote and it isn't just the first person to come along who gets a say.
Regardless of whether the post gets down voted after up votes, you can still see the results of your posts from the notifications and going to your reputation, seeing up as well as down.
Enough is enough, guys.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Before you close my thread (as opposed to moving the off-topic posts to Acotoz's thread), I wonder. Has there been any changes (good or bad) since I started this thread? More votes? Less votes? Do you think the banner is working? Does anyone know where the rating breakdown page is?

Edit: I forgot you need to click on the Rep Points.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Has there been any changes (good or bad) since I started this thread? More votes? Less votes?

From my untrained perspective I do seem to see more voting being carried out by members who are familiar with the site. But I still do see some inconsistancy with regard new members - some do vote and some don't. But I am fairly happy with how things are from my point of view.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement