Why Does CreateInputLayout Work With This Descriptor?

Started by
1 comment, last by Hornsj3 11 years, 9 months ago
So I'm playing around with the Input Layout stage of the pipeline and I have a question.

Here's my Input Layout descriptor element

D3D11_INPUT_ELEMENT_DESC inputLayoutDesc[] =
{
{
"TEXCOORD", //Semantic name
0, //Semantic Index
DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32_FLOAT, //DXGI Format
0, //Input Slot
D3D11_APPEND_ALIGNED_ELEMENT, //Number of bytes from start of array to this element
D3D11_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, //Input Classification (we are using per vertex not per instance data)
0 //Instance data step rate, 0 for Per-Vertex data
},
{
"POSITION", //Semantic name
0, //Semantic Index
DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32_FLOAT, //DXGI Format
0, //Input Slot
D3D11_APPEND_ALIGNED_ELEMENT, //Number of bytes from start of array to this element
D3D11_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, //Input Classification (we are using per vertex not per instance data)
0 //Instance data step rate, 0 for Per-Vertex data
},

};

Here's my Vertex Shader

struct VS_INPUT
{
float3 Pos : POSITION0;
};
struct PS_INPUT
{
float4 Pos : SV_POSITION; //Screen-space position
};

PS_INPUT VS(VS_INPUT input)
{
PS_INPUT output = (PS_INPUT)0;
output.Pos = float4(input.Pos, 1.0f);

return output;
}

This works fine...meaning I am able to create my input layout object and set it to the input assembler stage.

My question is, why does this work?

From what I have read the input layout has to match the vertex shader input signature. This clearly does not. It seems to me as long as it can match the Position semantic it will allow me to create the object and set it.

It seems like this should not work because it does not exactly match the expected input to the vertex shader.
Advertisement

From what I have read the input layout has to match the vertex shader input signature. This clearly does not. It seems to me as long as it can match the Position semantic it will allow me to create the object and set it.

That is incorrect. For the Draw call to work, the input layout has to have at minimum the elements that are taken as input by the vertex shader. This means it is totally valid to have more than the required elements for a vertex shader.
Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement