Light sources lighting volumic matter?

Started by
3 comments, last by Julien Bayle 11 years, 9 months ago
Hi there,

I'd like to understand how this light diffusion effect is done
Each light seems to influence the "space"
It seems there is a kind of diffusion.
I firstly thought about a kind of open-cubes based grid with transparent faces but which would reflect or distort those lights or whatever.
Not sure.

Thought about fog too.

Would someone have some leads to dig this ?
Any kind of leads would be appreciate.
julien
> my project
Advertisement
As stated last time: I'm 95% sure that its simply point sprites that always face the camera. It does not appear the star objects have any 3D spheres or real geometry. They influence space because they are a 2D texture with blended alpha that way you can still see through them. Open a paint tool and use a radial blur of white. For each start call glColor3f() for the stars color to be blended with the alpha texture.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Hello dpadam450,
sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for your answer.
I got you about that.

About the influence of space, I cannot understand how it works.
Indeed, these 2D textures are "only" 2D and if I pass through with the camera, how should it behave ?
Wouldn't it be only like if you passed through a wall ..?
julien
> my project
You are right. What you could do then is render a sphere with a shader applied like fog. So as the pixel distance from the sphere center increases the fog goes to zero. Once you clip inside the sphere with the camera, then apply some kind of fog to the whole screen based on depth as well.

That is what I would try. No idea how well that will look but should be fairly decent as long as when you clip inside the light sphere, that the fog doesnt all of a sudden change thickness.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

I got the thing to avoid sudden change
But I'm still suprised by the strange light effect in the video linked
finally, maybe it is a bit more complex (for me)
julien
> my project

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement