Realistic strategy game?

Started by
23 comments, last by AoS 11 years, 9 months ago

Also, what leads you to believe that players smaller armies and more micro-management? I ask because I've tried to discuss strategy games with everyone I know who enjoys them, and I've found that what they say they want from a strategy game varies tremendously. I've heard anything from "I'd rather manage my troops without any directly controlled combat" to "I'd like to work with a team of other players, where each player has a specific role".
I think, it would be no surprise to divide players' preferences this way:
* very few players - want to be a general/ruler and lead the whole nation or campaign
* some players - want to be some sort of an officer or a leader of a platoon and deal with tactics instead of grand strategy
* huge majority of players - want to be soldiers and shoot at things, note that those players do not play strategy games at all

At the first glance the best approach for a designer is to follow the route where the majority is, but the things is the majority falls into no strategy games zone... So, the real choice is between the grand strategy maniacs and tactics manaics, again the most logical would be to go for tactics since there are more players but... wouldn't the grand strategy gamers be the most hardcore and the most loyal?

Anyway, that's of low practical importance because going for your personal taste as a game designer is best for the final quality of the game smile.png
(making games you would like to play is what makes great games, and I think most preople will agree with me on this smile.png)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]At the first glance the best approach for a designer is to follow the route where the majority is[/background]

[/font][/quote]

And at a second glance, AAA games are made almost exclusively for these big audiences, so it might not be a good strategy to make a game similar to another game with a few millions of dollars of difference. IMO that's part of the strength of indie developers, to provide what the industry can't, with creative titles for smaller audiences frequently ignored by the big industry.

For me Rome Total War was a really good game and looked realistic , and maybe the new Game Rome 2 which will appear next year will be more realistic. I dont know how to post youtube videos but you can look at their offical trailer on youtube

I think the player would have less direct control over individual units: instead of giving very specific instructions on movement, placement and activity of units (move here, shoot that, deploy this), the player would give more general instructions (hold this area, engage this target) which the units would then go about doing in a more autonomous fashion.

My brother pitched me this idea in the mid 90s.
I wasn't much of a dev or designer at that time, but even back then, I always felt he was onto something.
The general idea of an abstract management game is interesting. Players like interactions with AIs in general, but that would require kickass AI or the player would end up feeling he'd do a better job micro-managing.
I am currently working in a game where units are given more general orders. There are basic orders that all units have and then you can get more orders by recruiting leaders and putting units in their command group.

The AI is probably not top tier, but then its a single player game and the computer AI is no better than the one the player's units use.

Making an AI that can manage large numbers of units better than a human is probably not possible at this stage in AI, unless you have a huge company to devote oodles of resources to it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement