Visual Studio "Generating Code" infinitely

Started by
2 comments, last by osiris_dev 11 years, 10 months ago
There was a problem with linking code in release mode. To be more precise after compiling begins "Generating Code" but never ending. I made a couple of tests and found that the reason connect with "Maximaze Speed" flag in C++ Optimization.

I have other projects for VS2010 SP1 but they have not problems.

Any ideas?
Advertisement
Well, I have found a several bugs in VS2010 Ultimate as well. For example when there was access violation due to accessing reference that didn't exist in C++, debugger hangs. I think that using VS2008 or reporting bugs and waiting for patches is a solution really. blink.png
I have compiled tons of libraries (including some big ones like Ogre 3D that took up gigabytes of disk space for temporary build files) but never encountered this.

If you have enabled LTCG (Whole Program Optimization), the compiler will not actually compile your sources, but write the preprocessing results into the .obj files. When the linker prints "Generating Code", it will combine all of the sources into one huge source file and compile that. I know that on a lower-end system I had to wait several minutes for this step to complete.
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.

If you have enabled LTCG (Whole Program Optimization), the compiler will not actually compile your sources, but write the preprocessing results into the .obj files. When the linker prints "Generating Code", it will combine all of the sources into one huge source file and compile that. I know that on a lower-end system I had to wait several minutes for this step to complete.

Yes, I have enabled LTCG. Now I removed some codes and generating finished. Last time i waited 30 minutes but i don't saw result. This time it took 1 min. So, i don't know how I can boost generation time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement