Popularity of Unity? Many Jobs?

Started by
2 comments, last by gamedevr 11 years, 9 months ago
with Unity being free, powerful, ridiculously easy to pickup, and did I mention free ;-) I would've expected to hear a lot (subjectively) more commotion / activity concerning it. Is my assessment right? or is there really a large following I'm just not seeing?

I also expected there to be more job offerings related to Unity game development, is this not the case?

My presumption is that the AAA boys have the funds to throw at more bleeding edge engines, and so most are invested elsewhere. While Unity is so quick & easy that most (less-funded) development can be handled by a few on their own.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Advertisement
You just aren't seeing it. It is there.

We have used Unity in two major (multi-million dollar) titles over the past few years. They weren't AAA titles with hundreds of developers, but they were large projects. That's the whole point of starting with Unity, so it's okay.

In this industry there are few job openings in general, so it isn't surprising to have trouble finding those with Unity-specific requirements. Generally they ask for C# or other languages, with a side note that Unity experience is a plus.
To be honest few gamedev job listings even mention the engine used at the studio, it just isn't relevant, (If it was that important alot of game studios would have to fire most of their programmers at the start of a new project since they'd all be unfamiliar with the brand new shiny engine the studio just bought).

Learn how to make games (or software in general), the skills carry over between platforms, engines, tools, languages, APIs, etc and all game studios are very much aware of this. (Language and platform experience tend to be more of a wishlist aswell (allthough for more senior positions, especially for those responsible for performance sensitive parts of the project these things will be more important))
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
thanks for the comments! I'm glad to be proven wrong wink.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement