• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Wasn't c++ support announced for XNA

This topic is 2029 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys!

This might be a dumb question, so be prepared.

A few weeks ago, I think I read some stuff about microsoft announcing xna for c++.
But now I can't find any information on the subject online.

Am I that mistaken or is it indeed coming (VS 2012?).

Let me know!

Advertisement
Its always been available for managed C++ only. As XNA is a managed framework it will never work with non-managed C++.

XNA will function with ANY .net language (even the non microsoft ones like ironpython and Boo). It will however only publish to Xbox and windows phone 7 if used with C# or VB.net. The other languages will compile as windows applications fine.

[quote name='MJP' timestamp='1340837357' post='4953494']
No, there's no XNA for C++ that was announced.
[/quote]Well, ignoring the fact that XNA works on any .net language including the C++ port/dialect

You may have misunderstood the WinPhone announcement. Basically, C++ is a viable language for WinPhone 8, whereas games/graphics were required to use XNA in WinPhone 7(.5).

[quote name='Promit' timestamp='1340912385' post='4953744']
You may have misunderstood the WinPhone announcement. Basically, C++ is a viable language for WinPhone 8, whereas games/graphics were required to use XNA in WinPhone 7(.5).
[/quote]

Oww, that could be it.
I'm going to look deeper into that

Yes, just checked out some of the windows phone 8 unveiling announcements and C and C++ native code will now be supported.
Actually looks like WP8 is shaping up to be a full competitor in the smartphone market, dependant on whether release becomes a complete flop I might upgrade from my ZTE blade.

There is no XNA for native C++. The announcement was that you could use native C++ (with WinRT and D3D11) to develop on Windows Phone 8, [i]instead[/i] of having to use XNA + managed languages like you did for Windows Phone 7.

XNA with C# or VB.net, silverlight with C# or VB.net
Native C or C++ code aswell.
Those are the choices for wp8. windows phones don't really differentiate between apps and games, as far as it cares its software that someones made being run. Although traditionally something that isn't a game would use silverlight.

XNA and [u]managed[/u] C++ is desktop windows only at this time. Same for silverlight. XNA and silverlight will not work with native C++.

I believe native wp8 apps will use a subset of directx for graphics although I'm not 100% sure on that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement