Wasn't c++ support announced for XNA

Started by
11 comments, last by MattProductions 11 years, 9 months ago
Hi guys!

This might be a dumb question, so be prepared.

A few weeks ago, I think I read some stuff about microsoft announcing xna for c++.
But now I can't find any information on the subject online.

Am I that mistaken or is it indeed coming (VS 2012?).

Let me know!
Advertisement
Its always been available for managed C++ only. As XNA is a managed framework it will never work with non-managed C++.

XNA will function with ANY .net language (even the non microsoft ones like ironpython and Boo). It will however only publish to Xbox and windows phone 7 if used with C# or VB.net. The other languages will compile as windows applications fine.
No, there's no XNA for C++ that was announced.

No, there's no XNA for C++ that was announced.
Well, ignoring the fact that XNA works on any .net language including the C++ port/dialect
Thanks guys!

I think I've misread something somewhere.
Anyway, thanks for your info!
You may have misunderstood the WinPhone announcement. Basically, C++ is a viable language for WinPhone 8, whereas games/graphics were required to use XNA in WinPhone 7(.5).
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

You may have misunderstood the WinPhone announcement. Basically, C++ is a viable language for WinPhone 8, whereas games/graphics were required to use XNA in WinPhone 7(.5).

Oww, that could be it.
I'm going to look deeper into that
Yes, just checked out some of the windows phone 8 unveiling announcements and C and C++ native code will now be supported.
Actually looks like WP8 is shaping up to be a full competitor in the smartphone market, dependant on whether release becomes a complete flop I might upgrade from my ZTE blade.
So I was actually right or not?
Is it only for app and/or games?
Would be awesome if you guys helped me out on this one.
There is no XNA for native C++. The announcement was that you could use native C++ (with WinRT and D3D11) to develop on Windows Phone 8, instead of having to use XNA + managed languages like you did for Windows Phone 7.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement