HTML5 Game Development?

Started by
9 comments, last by DvDmanDT 9 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys, just got this crazy idea about a simple game, I wanna make it browser based, is it possible to make a game fully in html5 or do you need stuff like javascript too. Anyone got any good resources? ph34r.png
Advertisement
If you want client side interactivity with HTML, you're gonna need JavaScript. If you can do everything on the server side, you can use pretty much any programming language out there.
Could you possibly explain "client side interactivity" a bit? Thanks. :)
HTML is a mark up language, it doesn't "do" anything.

If you want something to happen, you either need JavaScript, or any supported plugin (Flash, Silverlight, Java applets, Unity Web Player, etc.).
http://code.google.com/p/libgdx/

That's cool but I'm unsure if I want to learn Java. Blender export to WebGL could be used in/for Android as well? I guess no C++ IDE are available for such?

That's cool but I'm unsure if I want to learn Java. -- I guess no C++ IDE are available for such?

EDIT: removed link since it had nothing to do with your question.

[Actually, if you're already familiar with c++ the step to java is fairly trivial so don't rule it out as an option]
HTML is hyper text markup language, basically it can only be used to displaying text and images to the screen. Any interactivity like buttons changing colours as they are highlighted need javascript or similar. Javascript is quite neat as it can be types into an HTML document and then any javascript supporting browser can execute it, in theory this should be all modern graphical browsers (yeah you can get command line browsers too) however certain mobile browsers are sometimes a little iffy with it.

Alternative options if you want games on the web playable in browser:
Flash and java can both be used. Unity now has its web player browser plug-in too although I haven't checked if that is a free or pro feature. All 3 of course require that the user has the relevant plugins however most computers now will have flash player and java already or most browsers are capable of alerting the user that they need to get flash or java and will provide a link.

Theres other options too but these are the main ones (apart from unity, not seen that in action yet)

EDIT: heres a thread about a game made with HTML and javascript: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/621477-old-school-racing-topgear-lotus-game-track-algorithm/

Could you possibly explain "client side interactivity" a bit? Thanks. smile.png

Sure!
Interactivity: There's immediate result for user actions (i.e. user clicks a button, messagebox pops up)
Client side: Stuff that happens on the client (browser)

Client side interactivity: The users action is processed on the client

The alternative would be server side interactivity, where each user action sends stuff to the server and the server sends the result back. That's what happens when you click a link in the browser, for instance.
I've recently started a tutorial series for Cocos2D HTML5, and HTML5 ( meaning Javascript + Canvas tag ) port of the ever popular cocos2D library. If you want to make browser games, that is a very good place to start. It's still in development though, so expect some changes ( already happened in my tutorials .node() is now .create() ).
http://gnuaerospace.org/

They claim to clone FSX, but playable in a browser. Now that's a real challenge, I wonder what IDE etc. the're using.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement