Sign in to follow this  
htuk

Where to start with C++? What to use?

htuk    110
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Basically I've just graduated from University, but am really struggling to find a job as I have no C++ experience.

I've made games in UDK using UnrealScript, Unity using JavaScript and Flash using ActionScript. But I've never used C++.

Instead of continuing to use UDK, Unity etc, I want to start learning C++, as it seems to be a standard requirement in the industry.

But what would you reccomend using? There doesn't seem to be anything similar to Unity or UDK that uses C++ out there (unless I'm mistaken!).

I'm just looking for pointers on where to start, what to use etc. (I already am familiar with Visual Studio 2010)

With my background in other languages (Java, JavaScript, ActionScript, UnrealScript), I'm sure I can adapt to C++.

Thanks everyone. Edited by htuk

Cornstalks    7030
Start from the ground up. Buy a book. I've heard good things about [url="http://www.amazon.com/Accelerated-C-Practical-Programming-Example/dp/020170353X"]Accelerated C++[/url]. Focus on learning C++ (which has no concept or understanding of graphics or even windows) before moving on to some graphical/windowing API (have a solid foundation to build on before getting into API). This means you'll get familiar with making command-line programs.

[quote name='htuk' timestamp='1340909246' post='4953736']
Basically I've just graduated from University, but am really struggling to find a job as I have no C++ experience.
[/quote]
What type of jobs are you looking at? Usually their are plenty of jobs that don't require C++ experience unless your looking purely in the game development field I suppose.

However any book that teaches you C++ would be a good start, this one made by the person who made C++ would be a good start given that you have previous programming experience. [url="http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Principles-Practice-Using-C/dp/0321543726"]Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++[/url] Edited by DevLiquidKnight

htuk    110
[quote name='DevLiquidKnight' timestamp='1340920398' post='4953772']
[quote name='htuk' timestamp='1340909246' post='4953736']
[/quote]
What type of jobs are you looking at? Usually their are plenty of jobs that don't require C++ experience unless your looking purely in the game development field I suppose.
[/quote]

Yea I've been mainly looking for jobs in games development. Mainly because it's what I enjoy, and I worked as an AS3 developer at a company last Summer, so I have some experience in it. Also, a lot of my work during final year was spent on games development.

--------

Thanks to both of you for the links, I'll have to look into both.