c# game

Started by
4 comments, last by frob 11 years, 9 months ago
I want to bulid a very simple game using only c#.I am unsure of whether to make a console based application or a window based application. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
What type of game? You need to be more specific, a very simple game would be best off in console if you have not yet done much C#.
Console applications are text only (although you can do rudimentary graphics with this), and procedural in nature. You use them from a DOS / command window.

Windows applications are graphical windows that use different controls e.g. text boxes, buttons. It is possible to do simple graphics with these, but they dont look too good. Windows applications are event driven.

Which of those sounds like a good fit - for both your programming skills & your game?
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - 2D aerial combat WIP | DarklightXNA on Twitter | 2DFlightSim on Youtube
You can start by making a calculator in a console or something even simpler. Making a game is much more complex and it really actually depends what kind of game you want to make. But if it's something you can make in a console and doesn't require graphics, I'd say write your card/number/rpg game in a console.
windows application technically refers to using winforms/wpf, not any proper rendering, however tile based 2d games should work fine and so would a few other 2d games. If this is what you mean then thats fine.

Alternatively, XNA is meant for C# on windows and is capable of 2d and 3d (using directx 9 under the hood)

I do think you should be looking at command line games first. Things like guess the number, for my computer science AS level programming exam we had to write a game of dice cricket too :D
Some text adventures can actually get hideously complex and need advanced language features sometimes.
Tic-Tac-Toe is a great first game. It introduces you to many great concepts for AI and turn-based logic.
Pong is another game, it is a great start for basic animation and tight game loop logic.

I recommend you do both.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement