What engine/language/platform to use?

Started by
12 comments, last by DevLiquidKnight 11 years, 9 months ago

My assumption, which could be wrong, is that using engines like blender and ogre would basically not be sufficient, like, for the things I want to do I'd probably find myself boxed in, or having to add so much that it doesn't make sense to use the engine in the first place. This is an assumption from the point of being fairly ignorant about this though...

If your seriously worried about being boxed in by a game engine that likely has more features then your able to implement yourself. Learn a graphics programming API, such as DirectX or OpenGL and use it for your game. You will have no more limitations, other then the hardware. This is quite involved however and will result in you being required to understand really a lot of mathematics, although if your willing to do this its a good thing.
Advertisement

there are quite a few languages that are notorious for not being able to develop with

such as?

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

[quote name='Shippou' timestamp='1341141529' post='4954495']
there are quite a few languages that are notorious for not being able to develop with

such as?
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck
Hello World

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.

Good luck making something that is actually useful with it smile.png (Its not even the worst language out there, some such as "whitespace" are even worse). (When it comes to mainstream languages however its quite hard to find one that is really awful, some are quite a bit worse than others though)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck
Hello World

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.

Good luck making something that is actually useful with it smile.png (Its not even the worst language out there, some such as "whitespace" are even worse). (When it comes to mainstream languages however its quite hard to find one that is really awful, some are quite a bit worse than others though)

I've made useful programs using this language, its particularly a good language if your interested in studying turning machines, but it is by no means something a normal person should be coding in. tongue.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement