The legend of Zelda, Shadows of Dark Link. (Game Idea)

Started by
11 comments, last by 6677 11 years, 9 months ago
I have an idea for a fun Zelda game project. The game would be a 2d eagles eye view. It takes place a few years after A Link to the Past. In the dark world , when you defeated the wizard Agahnim, in an eager attempt to survive, he concealed his soul. now It has been a couple years after you defeat Ganon, and he has finally regained enough strength to come back to human form. He seeks vengeance on link and casts a spell on the world to turn it into a shadow world and creates dark link. However in this act he also kills himself. In this world the elements are all out of place and it is links job to save the world and put dark links reign to an end. This game wouldn't be as big as the others. This is only an idea and i want to hear some feedback on what others think. The idea is still in construction, this is just a rough outline. it would probably be another couple months until I can be anywhere close to starting the project. Thanks for all the feed back.

I am a bit fuzzy on the lore for a link to the past. it has been about 8 years since i last played it so if there is anything that happens with Agahnim that totally contradicts my game then please let me know.
Advertisement
I'm guessing you mean a top down view as in a link to the past when you mention 2D eagle eye view?

Anyway, there isn't really anything that suggests something of gameplay. You mention the "story", what has happened, but that's basically it. I can make a guess that you want the gameplay to be similar to the rest of the Zelda games, at least a link to the past, but perhaps it would be wise to think/elaborate about what kind of dungeons, setting in general, weapons, unique gameplay features etc, etc.

The story alone doesn't make a game :)
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it has to be said. Since you do not have a license from Nintendo to use the Legend of Zelda IP, it would be better to create original lore.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it has to be said. Since you do not have a license from Nintendo to use the Legend of Zelda IP, it would be better to create original lore.

I was actually thinking this, and I figured it wasn't such a bad idea either.
The premice of your story could be a vengeful wizard that was defeated. It doesn't specifically need to be Agahnim.

But if Im not selling it and just want to make it as a fun project to give to my friends and as a learning experience would that still matter. i know there are other homemade Zelda games.

I'm guessing you mean a top down view as in a link to the past when you mention 2D eagle eye view?

Anyway, there isn't really anything that suggests something of gameplay. You mention the "story", what has happened, but that's basically it. I can make a guess that you want the gameplay to be similar to the rest of the Zelda games, at least a link to the past, but perhaps it would be wise to think/elaborate about what kind of dungeons, setting in general, weapons, unique gameplay features etc, etc.

The story alone doesn't make a game smile.png

I was saying a top down view. also i didn't put in any gameplay, weapons, items, dungeons and such because i wanted to know what others thought, and because i didn't get that far. Also the gameplay would be like A Link to the Past, i should have mentioned that.

[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1340987266' post='4953998']

But if Im not selling it and just want to make it as a fun project to give to my friends and as a learning experience would that still matter. i know there are other homemade Zelda games.
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia....me#Legal_issues

The answer in short is: Yes it still matters. Whether the IP holder decides to make an issue of it is a completely different matter though.

Basically leaving you with the following options if you pursue making the game:

• Create a new lore/story
  • Get permission from the IP holder
  • Make the game anyway and risk legal action being taken against you
Also, if you go to all the effort to make a game that's actually fun to play, hundreds of hours of work, wouldn't you be quite unhappy to not be able to sell it or at least distribute it? (But personally I think making up the original story is the most fun part).

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Would I email Nintendo and ask if i can use it or is there some long process i need to go through? Because if it is a long process i would just rethink the story. Can I call it the legend of Zelda, use link as a main character, and the master sword, or do i need to ask for that too? if i had to rethink the story i would like to at least keep it related to Zelda.
A previous forum thread regarding obtaining permission for a fan game
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/624535-regarding-a-proper-way-to-get-permission-to-make-a-fan-game/

Tom Sloper's FAQ 61: So You Wanna Clone Somebody's IP
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/faq61.htm

Would I email Nintendo and ask if i can use it or is there some long process i need to go through? Because if it is a long process i would just rethink the story. Can I call it the legend of Zelda, use link as a main character, and the master sword, or do i need to ask for that too? if i had to rethink the story i would like to at least keep it related to Zelda.

Anything that is unique to the lore and story of Zelda including unique swords, characters etc would fall under the IP's copyright - Generic stuff does not. Yes you would need to obtain permission.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement