Sign in to follow this  
rob35

It seems that nobody here is smart enough, myself included...

There is a graphics maneuver that seems impossible to complete yet so basic... the very mention of it has put an end to [url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/608918-dynamic-contour-plotting-in-pixel-shader-20/page__p__4851508#entry4851508"]this thread[/url] and [url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/529926-terrain-contour-lines-using-pixel-shader/page__p__4926133#entry4926133"]this post[/url] on this forum.

I'll ask again: is there ANY way for Shader Model 2.0 cards to draw Contour Lines - not by crappily applying a 1d texture (that will look horrible... again, look at the first post [url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/529926-terrain-contour-lines-using-pixel-shader/page__p__4926133"]here[/url]) but by using the screen-space derivative functions to do it properly? That functions (ddy, ddx, etc.) do NOT exist on SM 2.0 cards.

How do I proceed? I experimented using a derivative map that I passed along to the shader in a different texture channel, but there were two problems: 1. didn't completely standardize the widths of the lines and they became huge and pixelated when zoomed in (probably a precision problem) and 2. I am going to be animating datasets and interpolating along the time axis; perhaps I implemented it wrong, but it went bonkers when I tried this presumably because the derivate maps can't just be linearly interpolated.. (but shouldn't they be able to?)... there must be a simpler way to draw something as simple as contour lines over a texture! If I color the texture with a palette I can see the boundaries/edges where I want lines, so how do I get LINES?

You could just make the line narrower/thicker based on the normal and distance (ie if the slope is tangental to the plane of contour or camera is close, the line would be thicker so have a narrower criteria). I haven't tried this but I don't see why you couldn't mathematically work out the correct criteria.

Render the world position to a second render target and calculate the contours in a screen space pass...

Just set SM3 as your program's minimum hardware requirement and the problem goes away; you can then get on with being productive.

Seriously - SM2 is so old that you're doing yourself and your program a disservice by aiming so low. Even SM3 is quite ancient. 5 or 6 years ago this would have been a genuine problem, and that's an eternity in computing. Today SM3 capable hardware is ubiquitous (even Intel have had it since 2006); there's absolutely nothing that's "fancy" or "new" about it. Edited by mhagain

Thank you everybody for your responses; Hodgeman - I had not thought of that and will try it, thank you. SM2.0 is unfortunately the minimum for my project, but I agree that that is stupid.

[quote name='japro' timestamp='1341063896' post='4954309']
Render the world position to a second render target and calculate the contours in a screen space pass...
[/quote]
I am quite sure you seem to have more experience than I in this field; could you elaborate on this technique because it sounds to me like the best way of doing it. Thank you.

The games I am working on this year are probably the last two big SM3 projects we will be doing. its all D3D11 with SM5 and SM4 profiles going forward . . .