Sign in to follow this  

Does CryEngine code C++?

This topic is 1989 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if CryEngine can use/code C++. I got no programming experience. However I did made 2D games on GameMaker 8.1 but I must pay $25 just to script things on there and make MMORPG/Shooting games. All I can make on there is mazes and shoot em up..... So I'm like mehh screw it and start on making a 3D game.....

Edit: still learning/reading "How to program C++"

[quote name='6677' timestamp='1341009755' post='4954130']
If you've not programmed in C++ before you have no chance of making a game yet. Even then cryengine bends experienced programmers backwards and breaks them for awhile. Cryengine is a AAA engine not aimed at beginners in any way, it is highly unsuitable for your use. Also its not suited to MMORPG's either, its default networking code struggles beyond 30 to 50 odd players which is not considered mmo size. You would need to rewrite the entire networking back end yourself which is only possible with a full license costing well over $100k. Good luck with that if you can't afford $25. Although your original question: cryengine uses C++.

MMORPG's and shooters are bad starter projects aswell and C++ isn't exactly beginners friendly in its own right.

Btw you've tagged this thread as C# not C++, other than having a C in their name and being object orientated theres no relation.
Although seeming as you've tagged C#. C# isn't exactly a beginners language either but is much easier than C++, also you get access to XNA. Brilliant framework there although windows only (and for a fee paid to microsoft you get xbox 360 indie games marketplace and windows phone 7, I think its $25 each + live gold on the xbox, don't quote me on that though).

Don't start with making games, work upto it. If you jump straight into making games you will get hopelessly lost with your coding ability, get frustrated and quit. You have to put work in before you will get any out.
[/quote]
Well said! :)

[quote name='6677' timestamp='1341009755' post='4954130']
Cryengine is a AAA engine not aimed at beginners in any way
[/quote]
But it's not like it'll explode if you do something wrong, so no harm in playing with it. Just be realistic about what you can achieve.

[quote name='mrbastard' timestamp='1341102120' post='4954408']
But it's not like it'll explode if you do something wrong
[/quote]Which is also true yes but without any knowledge of C++ beforehand chances are all the OP's going to get is crash after crash after crash, then he'll get frustrated and quit

This topic is 1989 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.